deck traction

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
OrangeQuest

deck traction

Post by OrangeQuest » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:16 am

Any of you guys that are building flat deck boats and the stand up paddle boat ever consider using any of this stuff?
https://northshoreinc.com/
All our SUPs come with it already and other than a snag or two it holds up pretty good. Thinking of using it on my build.

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: deck traction

Post by piperdown » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:46 pm

OrangeQuest wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:16 am
Any of you guys that are building flat deck boats and the stand up paddle boat ever consider using any of this stuff?
All our SUPs come with it already and other than a snag or two it holds up pretty good. Thinking of using it on my build.
Interesting. Might be easier than me trying to mask off areas for Kiwigrip (I such at painting in general).

Is this stuff closed cell?
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:46 pm

honestly..... anything like that should come in Lego pattern..... anything else would be a waste of opportunity!

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:52 pm

piperdown wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:46 pm
OrangeQuest wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:16 am
Interesting. Might be easier than me trying to mask off areas for Kiwigrip (I such at painting in general).

Is this stuff closed cell?
If it is like the stuff that comes on our SUPs then yes. People are barefoot on our boards but it holds up well. Very firm foam that if your head hits it doesn't hurt so much. I have tested it for that! 8O Water doesn't shed off ours but it also doesn't soak it up.

I am considering using it on the sole and forward casting deck. If it is the same stuff it's easy to cut with a razor knife and maybe a band saw and is easy to glue pieces of different colors together for patterns and such.

We wear surf booties and water shoes a lot so nothing with hard soles on the SUPs. Deck shoes should be ok on the stuff.

Marshall Moser
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Marshall Moser » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:26 pm

This reminds me of SeaDek

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:00 pm

Faux teak sea deck for me.

Those colors are playground brite. Jist sayin.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:10 am

SeaDek seems to be the same thing and give more details for the DYI guy. Seen a few pictures on the use of the foam around hatches and looks like would be hard to walk on because of the valleys it makes. I like the laser etching option. Gives me something to thing about.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:33 am

I am building up 1/4" foam around the seadeck to keep things flat.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:38 pm

fallguy1000 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:33 am
I am building up 1/4" foam around the seadeck to keep things flat.
Most all the pictures show they bevel the edges. I am sure so it the edges don't get pulled on but leaves a big gap around hatches.
I am still thinking it would work well on my casting deck!
I could see that stuff would feel great on a big boat like yours that boarding you leave the shoes at the door. And if you have a sundeck on the cabin putting the two layer stuff with a design etched in it.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:08 pm

mine are all going to be inset

preplanning where they go and adding 1/4" core wherever they don't go

all walkways will probably get it

about 250 for 40 x 80 sheet, but was quote $70 sqft for installed flexiteek