Hurricane help!!

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
OrangeQuest
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Hurricane help!!

Post by OrangeQuest » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:10 pm

Bogieman wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:21 am
Hello,

Just received a storm damage assessment from a neighbor who stayed behind. So far we're missing a single shutter! That's it! Boat is fine but taking on more water because part of the tarp blew off. The scuppers will provide relief. Sooooo, I'll take it. So thankful . Not sure when we'll be able to return home...

Hope all of you who are dealing with Florence fare as well as we have. Stay safe everyone.

Bogie
That is really good news. It goes back when Mother Nature was picking on you and testing your patience on the things dropping on your wet epoxy and you was still nice to her. It's all about Karma! Good to hear things are not to bad.

OQ

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:53 am

Bogie, glad you guys faired well!!! Let us know when you are home safe!!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:21 pm

Jason and Bogie glad you both came through okay and with minor damage. She finally made it to wester NC and while I am in Iowa and the rain and wind is not supposed to be that big a deal our biggest fear is mudslides. We are expecting 4-6 inches on top of ground that is already totally saturated from rains this summer. They have already posted warnings through Thursday evening.

This thing is still huge and stretches from edge of TN/NC border and has it's tail out in the Atlantic with rain still coming down in eastern NC and eastern SC as well as where the eye would have been in central SC and NC. Radar shows heaviest rain still east of Charlotte.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:36 pm

We're fine. I plan to rebuild.

OrangeQuest
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:41 pm

Eric I didn't realize you were also in the path of this storm, glad you guys are ok! What damage did you take?

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:26 pm

OrangeQuest wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:41 pm
Eric I didn't realize you were also in the path of this storm, glad you guys are ok! What damage did you take?
I was spoofing all the frantic hand wringing that's gone on here (here being Spartanburg, not the forum). We got exactly what I told people we would get. Some rain and a little wind.
Local news had people whipped up into a frenzy. Just over the top nonsense. Several cases of media staging fake videos of them standing in ditches to make it seem worse than it was. Just can't stand the sensationalism. Pardon my satire.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:10 pm

Eric looks like you got what I expected you and I to get. This thing has wrung itself out east of us. They are still worried about mudslides in the mountains because we had so much rain the last month or so, but that is a wait and see thing also and may be just a weather casters worry wart.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OrangeQuest
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:42 pm

We are getting a lot of that here which makes it hard for our business because the media has everyone afraid to go outside. This weekend we did pick up some. We normally would have a full tour (20 people) but because of predictions of strong storms we only had 10 book and that dropped to 8 come tour time. Sunny all weekend.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:23 am

Hello everyone,

We are back home safe and sound, but now the main thoroughfare linking our neighborhood to the outside world is flooded. So we will all be staying put. We are very thankful the storm sort of fizzled out before it hit our area.

Eric: That's funny stuff right there lol: Regarding the sensationalized media: The two gentlemen (Cooper and Seidel) should resign and never appear on TV again. It was a blatant betrayal of public trust.

So, here is what's happening with the boat. When I returned home yesterday the water was up to her scuppers. That's a lot of lbs...anyway, the unexpected weight has caused a couple supports under the boat to partially fail. We had a break in the weather yesterday afternoon so I used a five gallon bucket to bail out about half of it, but it started pouring again before I could get her covered so I just threw in the towel and went back inside. This morning she's filled back up to the scuppers :lol: :cry: The good thing is that I have cement blocks incorporated into the basket's design and that is helping big time. I'm not sure if the basket is still level because there might have been some erosion under the cement blocks. Once the weather clears I will bail her out again, fix her supports and check her for level. Well, that's about all for now.

One thing is for sure: This boat will have a story to tell.

Bogie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:29 am

So... maybe a hole in the hull to drain her isn't the worst idea right now. nothing big, just enough to let the water out. If you do poke a hole in the hull (or two) make sure you let it dry for a while before doing a seal and fill.

That or a couple of garden hoses to use as a siphon.

Or a bilge pump.

Just a couple ideas.