Resin pumps - 1/2 oz?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
MarCraft Marc
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Resin pumps - 1/2 oz?

Post by MarCraft Marc » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:33 pm

I seem to recall buying these resin pumps for the MarinEpoxy jugs a few years ago and they came with a collar that would reduce the pump amount from 1 oz. to 1/2 oz. That way you could mix a 1.5 oz batch instead of a 3 oz batch (too much for little jobs).

Any thoughts on this? Or how I could maybe rig something similar?

Thanks

Marc B.

FL11, OT16 (sail), PK78, NC 16, Kayaks (4), 21' rowing shell, 14' power skiff, 12' SUP, 3 others, OD18 (in progress)

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Resin pumps - 1/2 oz?

Post by narfi » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:47 pm

It might give some people a heart attack, but I just do 1pump A + 1/2pump B when I need a smaller batch.

Dutch1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dutch1 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:49 pm

narfi wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:47 pm
It might give some people a heart attack, but I just do 1pump A + 1/2pump B when I need a smaller batch.
Yep, mark half way up on your hardener and don't go past it. There was a thread the other night where they were using mixing spoons to mix real small amounts.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:59 pm

All my epoxy mixing is done with a digital food scale set on grams. Reference is 100g of resin to 43g of hardener. Increase or decrease as needed. I don't feel comfortable going smaller than dividing by 4, the scale only measures whole grams. The guys advised me a few days ago to use tablespoons and teaspoons for small amounts. I do the expanding foam the same way but it is two equal parts.

The epoxy, I pour the resin, zero out the scale and then pour the hardener in the same cup.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:44 am

At one point there may have been collars with the pumps. However, the pumps are not metered pumps and if there is any air bubble in the tube when you pump then the ratio can be thrown off. I always encourage all of our customers to use the pumps as a convenient means of transferring resin and hardener to a mixing cup where they can verify the measurements. That being said, MariEpoxy is definitely more forgiving than other systems out there. I simply eyeball my measurements in a cup and have not gone wrong yet.
Think of it this way: What is faster, taking the step of mixing in a measured mixing cup or scraping and sanding uncured epoxy due to a mixing error?

-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:46 am

You can also buy those little medicine cups from Amazon for smaller jobs. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=medicine+cup ... _sb_noss_1
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:59 pm

Reid wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:44 am
Think of it this way: What is faster, taking the step of mixing in a measured mixing cup or scraping and sanding uncured epoxy due to a mixing error?

-Reid
Reid is this a trick question? I thought a lot of the guys LOVE the scrapping and sanding part!! :doh:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:02 pm

The mariepoxy from BBC also when you mix resin and hardener it clouds up when you start to mix it and then turns clear again as you mix it. I use that to make sure I used resin and hardener and didn't just pour two of the same thing.
A. A. Milne

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:07 pm

Reid wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:46 am
You can also buy those little medicine cups from Amazon for smaller jobs. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=medicine+cup ... _sb_noss_1
You can also get bar 2oz cups marked in 1/2 oz.. at Walmart which I have used successfully.

I also hate pumps unless you are pumping into another measuring vessel, as if you do not make the same pump stroke each time you don't get the same amount of resin. You also need to make sure the pump has returned to its full upright position.

Tom
Last edited by TomW1 on Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:11 pm

OrangeQuest wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:59 pm
Reid wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:44 am

-Reid
Reid is this a trick question? I thought a lot of the guys LOVE the scrapping and sanding part!! :doh:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I know, it's my favorite part also!!!
Years ago, when I was pouring bar top resin for a back porch bar I made, I made the mistake of trying to mix a large batch and pouring it all at once. I did not mix it thoroughly and was left with a mess!!! The bar top was approx. 72" x 30" and 1.5" deep. It didn't cure after 4 days in the hot FL weather. It took me a WHILE to get it all off. I learned my lesson, small batches, check measurements, and mix well (this includes scraping the sides and bottom of the mixing container!!!) Came out nice in the end though.

-Reid
- Steven Wright