Nautical mailbox

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Nautical mailbox

Post by Fred in Wisc » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:00 pm

So, my new house on the lake had by far the ugliest mailbox in the neighborhood. Not a huge deal, but the area is pretty upscale and I'm not. So I try to be a good neighbor and keep the place looking decent so everybody else tolerates whatever I may be up to in the yard/driveway/ etc....

Here's the "before"

Nasty creosote coated utility pole with scrap lumber mount for mailbox.

So I put a "wanted" ad on CL looking for a cheap of free vintage outboard motor that need not be complete or work. I got a response from a gentleman pretty nearby offering a 1959 Evinrude 18 with a cracked lower unit casting that was sitting out in his yard. the powerhead cover looked big enough to mount a mailbox in, so I sent to see it. Got it free, he just wanted it gone.

I gutted out all the mechanicals, repaired the cracked (broken right off) gearcase on the lower with some epoxy and scrap cloth, then faired it off roughly and added a little black paint. Pulled out all the lower gears and just epoxied a straight shaft in to mount the prop (a 1/2" copper pipe was just the right diameter). Sealed up all the holes where hornets could nest. Made some brackets to mount the mailbox in the powerhead, then cut out the front for access and made a little fiberglass trim so it fit up nice. A little touchup paint and it was ready to go.

Called digger's hotline (good thing, there's a cable line and a gas line within 5' of the mailbox), sunk a treated round piling, made a crossbrace to mount the motor from some rough cut ash, mounted the motor and put an anti-theft bolt through the bracket. Wrapped a little white rope around the top and bottom and we're good to go!

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Nautical mailbox

Post by fallguy1000 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:04 pm

Fun.

Good work.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:06 pm

Nice job!!!! Jeff

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:26 pm

Love it! 8)

Derrick just spiffed his up also...
68E66EDB-F670-4177-9589-FA6BB57A6A54.jpeg
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley

Netpackrat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:28 pm

I probably would have made the post out of concrete filled steel tubing for when someone tries to run it over, but I am vindictive like that. :wink:

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:32 pm

Nice looking mail boxes!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:04 pm

Netpackrat, I thought about that, but I'm on a dead end so very little traffic. And checking the USPS guidelines, the recommend super wimpy construction, probably to minimize injury in auto "accidents". I figured the potential liability wasn't worth it.

But I totally get the thought process. As a teen, I lived out in the country and our mailbox kept getting hit. My dad and I finally mounted it on a big solid steel bar sunk into a milk can full of rocks and then poured full of concrete. It only got hit one more time. It was moved over a couple feet, with a nice assortment of broken car parts scattered about. I'm thinking some young hooligan learned a well deserved lesson there. Very satisfying.

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:06 pm

That pelican is awesome! I thought about a seagull decoy perched on the piling, but I don't want to encourage those flying rats.

Netpackrat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:07 pm

A model of a landing craft would seem to be a natural for a mailbox.