Evinrude to discontinue outboard engines

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Evinrude to discontinue outboard engines

Post by piperdown » Thu May 28, 2020 10:39 am

https://fishingtackleretailer.com/brp-d ... ry-marine/

Popped up on my Google feed, probably because I was searching for a carb rebuild kit for the Merc I bought last summer.

Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Evinrude to discontinue outboard engines

Post by Jeff » Thu May 28, 2020 10:52 am

Wow, big change!! Thank you for telling us as no one had told us!! Jeff

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach » Thu May 28, 2020 12:17 pm

Wow ...glad I picked Yamaha

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic » Sun May 31, 2020 8:54 pm

No two stroke option left then? Real shame as I thought the etec was a good option on a boat. Might be some good buys out there as they offload old stock but a bit of a risk now.

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan » Sun May 31, 2020 9:47 pm

What can I say other than .......... good riddance! :D

I don't know anyone who has bought an eTec who would ever buy another, and my outboard mechanic mates refuse to touch them! 8O

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Sun May 31, 2020 11:30 pm

I hate to see them go and I do not own one. I want to have as many choices as possible. And we are all better off with as much competition as we can have. Just stop and think how much better autos have become due to world wide competition.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:03 am

We still have 'the big three' in outboards - Mercury, Yamaha and Suzuki.
Plenty of competition there - just look at how much Mercury have upped their game. I hear nothing but good things about the new Mercs.

OK, so I own two Yamahas - soon to be three! :lol:

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:46 am

BarraMan wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:47 pm
What can I say other than .......... good riddance! :D

I don't know anyone who has bought an eTec who would ever buy another, and my outboard mechanic mates refuse to touch them! 8O
That's an interesting data point. Most owners I know of in NZ are happy with theirs but many were bought when 4-strokes were not as good as today. Dealer who worked on both Etec and Suzuki once told me both were good engines, but Suzuki had the edge in reliability. Of course there were a few people on the NZ forums who could tell of sudden dramatic failures.

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:30 am

I've known so many guys who have had them and it's mixed results. Half love them, half had major issues that the dealers couldn't resolve. Keep in mind these were just the modified ficht motors from before that had all kinds of issues.

I have a buddy on another forum who is in the know, he hinted that the plan was to fold on the etec outboards, and bring back the johnson brand as 4-strokes. Covid-19 just accelerated the time line on some things.

Biggest issue is they just left thousands of dealers and builders in the wind. They will convert over to other brands and most will not come back leaving BRP to have to regrow their already small network from scratch. If they come back to sell outboards that is.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:50 pm

They have a big range of watersports dealers under the *doo brand but it's going to be a battle getting back into outboards. Dealers will be sitting on tens of thousands of engines that will suddenly be worth less. They'll need to discount to move it, and that lost income will hurt. I daresay that no Evinrude dealer would go back.

Real shame, when it came down to the pure engineering, I was really impressed by the G1s and especially the G2s. Would I put one on my boat? I might have before. Now I'm not so sure. A new e-tec would need to be at second hand prices for me to take the risk. Even if parts are available, you still need to find someone to service it. Or do it yourself.