Cheap boarding ladder for small boat

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Rtorres2411
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Cheap boarding ladder for small boat

Post by Rtorres2411 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:05 am

Hello everyone. It's been fun using the OB 15. Great little boat. I have taken my aunt to sand bars around Tampa area and she has fallen in love with boating. The bad part was that my wife and I always had a hard time getting her back on board when the boat was not beached.
Putting a fixed boarding ladder on a boat like the OB does not look good, so shopping around I saw a ladder made from PVC pipe and rope for $40.
I decided to make it my self just for around $10. Used a thick wall PVC pipe and cut it to 10 inches long. Then half the pipe and drill holes for the rope. A loop at the top of the ladder is then fixed to a clear on the boat for use. It stow easy as it gets folded into itself.

Ruben
Attachments
IMG_20200818_175417058_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200818_180940789_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200818_193318579.jpg
IMG_20200818_192239479.jpg
IMG_20200818_192100151.jpg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cheap boarding ladder for small boat

Post by Jeff » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:26 pm

Nice Ruben!!!! Jeff

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:17 pm

Have you tried to use it yet. I ask because I made something similar a few years ago for scalloping trips and had major issues.
I went with pvc first, but it was to slick when wet. So I switched to glassed plywood strips with nonskid on top. It was better, but still didn't function well.
The problem with a rope ladder is it swings under the boat when you try to climb it, making them unstable. Even for me and the kids it was hard to climb. When you see them used on sailboats and tree houses they are usually tied off on the bottom so they can't swing.
I ended up switching to a foldable and collapsible ladder bolted to my gunnel.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:53 pm

I'm going to second silentneko, at least to this extent: Please try it in the water before you need it for an emergency.
Tony

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:11 pm

This was the ladder I build and ultimately stopped using.
ladder.jpg
This is what I replaced it with. I added some backing cleats to the gunnel and used bolts with wing nuts on it so I could quickly add it or take it away depending on the trip. It wasn't that obtrusive so I left it on most of the time. This time I'll use a legit transom ladder setup of some kind.
ladderB1.jpg
ladderB2.jpg
I'm not trying to rain on your parade, I just want to warn you before you go any really try it. There was no way I could get my mother up my rope ladder even in shallow water as it takes a good amount of balance, and a lot more arm strength then you would think.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:40 pm

One more point: If you are ever fishing by yourself and go overboard, you need an arrangement you can access from the water. A very experienced local mariner fell overboard a couple of years back and drowned, and one guess was that he could not regain the deck. It was a terrible thing.
Tony

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:45 am

Having a ladder is a good idea. They save lives.

Despite the challenges in using a rope ladder, it is better than none. Having a ladder that is deployable from outside of the boat is the safest solution, especially if operating the boat solo.

That is why it is now a safety requirement of all newly manufactured production boats to have some type of self deployable reentry system as a standard feature of all boats sold in the USA.

Rtorres2411
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rtorres2411 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:21 am

Thanks for the insight. Me and the wife have used the ladder on the boat with no problem. When in use it does tend to swing under the boat, but it helps to get body weight of your arms to come over the gunnels. Me, wife and the kids really don’t need it as we can get back in the boat easily even from deep water. The real test for the ladder will be when it gets used by my dad or aunt.
On a higher freeboard boat I would definitely mount a transom boarding ladder as that is an important safety feature.

Ruben