What LB thrust trollin moter GF16?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
JeffS
Active Poster
Active Poster

What LB thrust trollin moter GF16?

Post by JeffS » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:16 pm

Well I am trying to figure out what lb thrust trolling motor I should get for my GF16. What would be the minimum? I was thinking about a 40 lb. but maybe I could use more? I only want one battery.

I looked at minnkota's site but since my boat is probably lighter than an average 16 foot production boat, I am not sure their calculations are too valid.

JeffS

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:31 pm

I would say get something with more thrust that you can use when the wind picks up - 2 batteries are a good idea

ross61
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ross61 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:34 pm

I just went thru the same thing picking a trolling motor for my FL14. i bought a Minnkota Vector 46lb thrust model because I was able to get it at half price.

For strictly trolling purposes, this is too much for the FL14. I have to use ocassional bursts to completely control speed. One of the main reason I wanted this motor was for use as the primary propulsion on electric only lakes. For this purpose the motor is perfect.

I would think if you are using the motor for trolling only, the Minkkota Endura 40 lb thrust would be perfect, and is very affordable. Of course if you want to mount it on the bow, you will have to get a different model (more money) or modify bow to accept a transom mount.

Good Luck,

Ross

smilinmatt
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by smilinmatt » Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:36 pm

I've got a 32# that I use with my GF-12. I've used it a few times when it was really windy (15-20 knots) and it could make it upwind, but slowly. I mostly use it for snook fishing around the canals, so I don't have to fight wind and current. I'd guess that with no current or wind, it will push my boat around 4 mph.

Boomer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Boomer » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:17 am

I've had a similar boat, and I'd go with at least 40lb. thrust, more if you can afford it.

the problem is not so much the weight of the boat (or lack thereof) but the fact that it wants to weathervane when going to the windward, and you need enough power to keep it straight. with only one person on board, runnig a boat of this type into the wind can be really aggravating if you don't have enough ponies.

My opinion is that it is a lot easier to run a high thrust motor at low speed than a low thrust motor at (too) high speed.