this sucks but, OD16 project for sale

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Troutlet
Active Poster
Active Poster

this sucks but, OD16 project for sale

Post by Troutlet » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:47 am

I've been off of the forum all Summer. Reason being I haven't touched my OD16 since there was snow on the ground here in Virginia. Now it looks like I'll have to stop permentantly.
I was using fast hardener while fairing out the hull and in my tarp tent managed to create quite the dust cloud. Normally this probably wouldn't have been so bad but it turned out that I was using the wrong filters on my respirator and that ALOT of the really bad harsh stuff was getting through. To make a long story shot, it messed up my Thyroid gland (throat) for awhile and now I can't go anywhere near epoxy.

Hull is all BS1088 Meranti and complete. Outside needs maybe 20% fairing to topside of hull. Bottom and chine are perfect have extra layer of glass. Includes bow tank and kit, galvanized trailer, couple gallons System Three and hardener (Fast), and those cool shark eye incessed navigation lights that are so popular here on Bateau. I'll even meet you somewhere between my location and yours. I'm near Roanoke VA. Anybody that reads this knows how much the plywood kit and epoxy kit alone cost plus I've spent more on other glass, epoxy, trailer, etc. I need to have $1700 for my project. My galleries still up and you can see the build there. I've done a good job if I do say so myself.

If anybody wants me to I can take some current pics and email them to you. Hull's completly sealed and has been curing under a tarp all summer. Trailer has sat but has been moved once a week to prevent flat spots in tires.

fishingdan
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fishingdan » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:15 pm

That sucks. Sorry to hear about your situation.

Is the boat on the trailer now? Do you have a pic of the trailer that you can add to the gallery?

Troutlet
Active Poster
Active Poster

trailer

Post by Troutlet » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:38 pm

Dan,
No the boats not on the trailer right now. I'll take some good trailer pics for you when I get home this evening and have them posted by tomorrow.

LarryA
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by LarryA » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:29 pm

My friend, that is horrible - don't think I have ever heard of such a thing.

Troutlet
Active Poster
Active Poster

yep

Post by Troutlet » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:56 pm

Hey Larry, Long time no chat.

Yeah it's pretty nasty. The epoxy is what its being attributed to but in all fairness I wasn't using a particulate filter on my respirator and in the tent it was very cloudy with epoxy dust. The Thyroid thing makes you jittery and I've lost some serious weight.
I'm about back to normal now after a few months.

LIVEWIRE
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by LIVEWIRE » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:09 pm

sorry to hear that .
if it was an 0d18 i'd probally be headed up I-95 right now.
going to danville later this week.
i think i put energy management in autozone at rocky mount or i went through there a few times.
i cant remember, doing a store a day often 16 hour work days then driving to the next city i'm even at a loss to the exact location of rocky mount. i put in 36 stores in virginia in 38 days.

oh yea, inbetween martinsville and roanoke.
the place without a hotel room to stay. well atleast one that wasnt booked for the night.

i sure liked the corned beef and co. in roanoke and the dutch inn in martinsville. both are fine watering holes with guinness.

Mike Adams
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mike Adams » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:15 am

Hey, Troutlet, sorry to hear of your problem. This must be a real disappointment after you have put so much work into your boat.

This is just a thought, but maybe you could find a keen boatbuilder or two who would be prepared to finish the job for you in exchange for the occasional use of the boat? At least that way you could enjoy it and not feel that all your effort has been wasted. Unfortunately, Canberra is a long way from Virginia, or I would be the first to volunteer.

Hope the future works out better for you.

Regards from Down Under.
FL14 "Lake Dreamer" built.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:20 am

I'm glad to hear the health is heading back to normal. This must be quite a testing, but thankfully, your health is returning. If staying away from epoxy is all you need do, that is quite a full life ahead yet, and I hope you fill it well with good things, but more importantly good people stuff, sans epoxy. Don't disappear on us! :lol:

Though the news was not expected, it's good to hear from you again. :)

Not to make light of the situation, but Allergy suffers can somewhat relate... living daily on antihistimines to stop the jitters and sinus waterfalls. Stay well friend, and grow better and better. You may need to go back to wood, planers and fasteners and resorcinol, which isn't a bad alternative. It seems to have done the job for quite a few generations! :)

Will we see a laptrake fastened version of an OD16?

Sincerely,
ks

Greyfire
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: yep

Post by Greyfire » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:01 pm

Troutlet,

I've very sorry to hear your plight. I've been frustrated with not finishing my FL11, and can only imagine how disappointed you must be. Would you still be able to use the boat if it could be finished? Like Mike said, maybe you can find help completing her? Maybe there are some first time builders lurking here that would welcome the chance to work on a boat before getting started on their own, with you supervising their work. For myself, I would have jumped at that before getting started. Or maybe someone nearby could take her and finish it for you, with you driving it there and back? I hope to hear that you'll be able to get the boat finished and splashed, but your health is more important, and the thyroid isn't anything to play around with either (got some family history there).
Troutlet wrote:The epoxy is what its being attributed to but in all fairness I wasn't using a particulate filter on my respirator and in the tent it was very cloudy with epoxy dust.
And with health in mind, now I'm worried that the respirator that I've been using hasn't really be helping any. How could I tell if it has a particulate filter? I've been churning up a lot of dust from sanding the fiberglass I've been working on, as well as sawdust. The filter claimed to work with fiberglass dust but I don't want to take any chances.

-=- Steve
FL11

attownsend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by attownsend » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:32 pm

Hey Troutlet,I may have a solution for you.If your willing call me at 772-878-0684 which is my home,or 772 607-1641 which is my cell.I think I know someone who would be interested in buying or finishing the progect for you.Then you can fish on Dude. 8) Anyway just an idea.My email address is evildwarf@hotmail.com. But most of all take care of yourself.I know what it's like to be sick.IT SUCKS.Evildwarf. :cry: :cry:
If it ain't Boeing,I ain't going.Evild