how do you name a new boat ?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:28 am

plumbertuck wrote:I was born just south of Atl. and have lived in the suburbs 37 years now.
The locals around here tell me that anyone from North of Macon is a Yankee. :lol:

CC, D15, V10

Jeffold
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jeffold » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:30 am

Hey Plumbertuck

My favourite has always been "Wet Spot" :o

I saw another name yesterday while heading out to catch a glimpse of the USS Ronald Reagan that was in port here this week, it was called "She Said - Don't You Dare" :D
Jeff In Brisbane, Australia
OD18 SC16 FL26

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:36 am

Plumber Tuck, Cracker has no age restrictions :!: If you don't know that, you probably aren't one.

I'm one because my Daddy always told me I was one. A Shrimp Boat Cracker to be more specific. It is generally referred to the rural, poor and less desirable class of Southerners, as opposed to the elite blue bloods.

It can be derogatory when used by those who aren't, but most of us have a sense of pride and take no offense :lol:

My roots are from the shrimp boat docks of Thunderbolt, GA. but when the yanks built condos on the bluff, I moved further out to the woods.

See http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/ ... s&id=h-552 for more information, or google Georgia Cracker.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Lackofdistinction
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lackofdistinction » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:11 am

Unfortunately, I can't call myself a cracker but, my father, uncles, Grandfather and Great Grandfather were. They Shrimped out of sapelo sound until the late sixties. I more of a Suburban Cracker I would say.
"Off Fighting Windmills."

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:47 am

Shellmans Bluff or Sunbury?

Shrimping was tough in GA in the late 60's and early 70's. High fuel, high interest, low shrimp prices,.....everyone shrimping in Georgia who made it through rerigged for square grouper and made longer trips :wink: Of course a lot of them didn't make it either.
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Lackofdistinction
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lackofdistinction » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:48 pm

Shellman Bluff. Yeah O'l Pa my grandfather lost his boat and my great grandfather sold out moved to naples fla. and start commercial fishing.

Yeah seems like I remember them going outside the sound and Dragging down the coast til, they ran out of food, fuel or room.

Hell of a hard way to make a living.
"Off Fighting Windmills."

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:52 pm

Yeah seems like I remember them going outside the sound and Dragging down the coast til, they ran out of food, fuel or room.
Or ice.

Hell of a hard way to make a living.
You got that right, but somewhat understated:!: Lord knows I've tried to make a living at it all my life. But I was just deluding myself. Now I've finally decided after 53 years that you can't make a living doing it, you just got to love it.

I've shrimped, crabbed, fished, oystered, clammed, run inshore and offshore fishing and diving charters, delivered power and sailing yachts from the Chesapeake to South America, taught sailing and seamanship, windsurfing and scuba diving, ran tug boats and worked on dredges and salvage boats. Done everything from salvage diving to mega yacht captain to teaching tourists how to catch crabs with a string and a chicken neck. Been cold, wet, miserable and broke more than twice. Never made much of a living at it. Barely broke even mostly when all was said and done. About all I've got to show for it are scars and a bunch of stories that no one believes.

Like farming, which is the second hardest way to make a living. You just got to love it. :D

Lamar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lamar » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:17 pm

Best boat name I've seen is "The Last Straw". I bet his wife (ex?) named it. :lol:

Oceola
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Oceola » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:51 pm

I think I'll have hand painted on the sides of my D-15...(in small letters)
"@ Bateau2"...(and large letters) "the BOYS-R-US".

Frank
Craftsmanship means no wrinkles in your duct tape.

baba101
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by baba101 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:57 pm

If you are young enough then Just call her "Bi*ch"