Please use this forum to tell us about problems you are having with the forum software, or the new site. This lets us keep the boat building discussions free from clutter.

Your comments and tips are appreciated.
bateau-webmaster
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: New Posts over Multiple Pages

Post by bateau-webmaster » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:28 am

Let me first make sure we are on the same page here. When you say the little orange square, I am seeing a small reddish orange icon that looks like a sheet of paper with the top right corner folded. This is the "unread posts" icon (if you hover your cursor over it there is a tooltip that pops up to that effect). If that is the icon you are clicking on, after you have clicked it it should show unread posts with the same icon, and if you back up a page, all the preceding posts should have a grey version of that icon (indicating read status). Please let me know if that is the case, or, if after clicking back to the older pages if you are still seeing the orange/red icons. (If they are grey, that means the forum "thinks" you have read them already)

Cracker Larry wrote:Build on 8)
Jamie Fisk
Order Desk, Webmaster
Boat Builder Central, Bateau

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:47 am

bateau-webmaster wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:28 am
Please let me know if that is the case, or, if after clicking back to the older pages if you are still seeing the orange/red icons. (If they are grey, that means the forum "thinks" you have read them already)
On GB Skinnydip they are grey. On AA fs18 they are still red (mobile). I'm using the "big red circle" which is the same function as the little red page. I'll try the page on the next iteration.

Also, this is the URL I'm using to generate the "new messages" page from book mark. http://forums.bateau2.com/search.php?se ... nreadposts

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:13 am

My routine is, after I log on I click on "Quick links" at the top left, and from that list select "New posts" and a list of all threads with new posts appears. Every thread in that list has the icon we're talking about next to it, and they are all orange. In times past, when I clicked on the orange icon it always took me to the first new post. Since a few months back, it doesn't always do that if new posts run over to another page.
Yes, once I've read the new posts and go back to the list, the icon next to that thread has turned gray. I do not, however, see that icon next to individual posts within a thread, either orange or gray. Edit: yes, I do see that now- I missed that detail.
Hank

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:33 am

Still seeing this no matter what method I use to see new posts on Skinnydip.

This has to be something "checking" skinnydip page since it shows the all previous pages as read. the odd part is that it is EXACTLY on the page boundary. Very odd.

bateau-webmaster
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bateau-webmaster » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:50 am

Could be that it's such a long thread.
Jamie Fisk
Order Desk, Webmaster

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:16 am

bateau-webmaster wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:50 am
Could be that it's such a long thread.
Nafari's hc14 is doing it now. Short thread.

bateau-webmaster
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bateau-webmaster » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:23 am

Well, it appears that it marks all the posts, up to the last post you read, as read. I just tested it out with Narfi's and skipped page 3, straight to page 4, and it marked that whole page of posts as read, and didn't give me the unread posts icon in new posts. I'm not sure in what order you guys are reading posts, but this is something in the code of the PHPBB software that is beyond my control, without going in and modifying it, as there are no settings regarding these features.
Jamie Fisk
Order Desk, Webmaster

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:28 pm

What I've been doing is clicking on the "first unread" link. I think that means we have some freaky phpbb bug happening here.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:31 am

I think the fact that some threads work one way and some work a different way is telling. Today for me there were three threads with new posts over multiple pages: Browndog's FS19 thread worked like it should, AA's FS18 Bare Bones also worked fine. Eric's C21 thread did not work right.

I need to stay off the forum longer so I'll get more examples and confirm they are behaving consistently!
Hank