No Alaska shipping on new website?

Please use this forum to tell us about problems you are having with the forum software, or the new site. This lets us keep the boat building discussions free from clutter.

Your comments and tips are appreciated.
Netpackrat
Active Poster
Active Poster

No Alaska shipping on new website?

Post by Netpackrat » Sat May 18, 2019 11:17 pm

There is no option for shipping to Alaska when attempting to check out.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: No Alaska shipping on new website?

Post by Fuzz » Sat May 18, 2019 11:52 pm

I am not sure there ever was. The best thing to do is call them. They best shipping/cheapest has been USPS. I get my stuff in around 5 days almost every time. And if there is going to be empty space in the shiping box I have them fill it with wood flour or fairing compound or something else. You can only do it that way by calling them.
We need to get a couple more Alaska builders so we can make a big order and have it shipped. Narfi and I did it that way and it worked like a champ cost wise.

Netpackrat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Sun May 19, 2019 1:44 am

I have ordered off the (old) BBC website before, so I am sure it was there.

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid » Mon May 20, 2019 10:23 am

Netpackrat,

Like Fuzz said, the best thing to do is give us a call to place your order. We had to make some changes with the new website and no longer offer a USPS option on the website. However, we will still ship via USPS if a customer requests this option. For the lower 48 it is cheaper to ship via UPS ground. To AK, however, it is cheaper to ship USPS.
Going forward, please give me a call at our office, 772-742-8538 or send me an email (reid@boatbuildercentral.com) with your order and shipping address and I will get you a quote for your total order.
Sorry for any confusion.

-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Netpackrat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Mon May 20, 2019 10:49 am

That’s at least better than what some outfits do, which is refusing to ship USPS at all (which generally costs them my business). It’s still a bit of a pain given the 4 hour time difference and need to call during business hours.

This time I was just trying to order a couple sets of plans (I like having both paper and digital) for future use at some indefinite time, so it really doesn’t matter much. If I were in the middle of a build it would be beyond annoying since I usually realize I am going to need something after lower 48 business hours. With online ordering I can get my order in before I go to bed, and not have to worry about getting up early to order or risk losing a day of shipping time (I am up way early now due to a work situation that will hopefully be temporary).

If the new website really can’t handle multiple shipping methods, one thing that’s worked for me with another favorite supplier is to just order online, and include in the comments to ship the order USPS. They have been very good about doing so and crediting me the difference.

Obviously that wouldn’t work for a large/heavy/bulky/hazmat order but for the kinds of things I am likely to need because I made a mistake or stuff like plans, that would be more convenient.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Mon May 20, 2019 11:34 am

Netpackrat, just tell us what you want and how you want the item or product shipped and we will work it out and get back to you with options. We strive to ship/mail same day!! Jeff

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Tue May 21, 2019 9:01 am

I usually just email Jeff/Reed directly, they are prompt with returning an order and shipping quote.

I like knowing that it's a person checking my unique cercimunstances over an algorithm that may need correction after it during shipping and delaying things unnecessarily.

Netpackrat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Tue May 21, 2019 10:48 am

narfi wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:01 am
I usually just email Jeff/Reed directly, they are prompt with returning an order and shipping quote.

I like knowing that it's a person checking my unique cercimunstances over an algorithm that may need correction after it during shipping and delaying things unnecessarily.
I tend to operate more from the point of view that the fewer people involved with my order, the greater the odds that It will be correct. If I order and check out online, then at least in theory the list-o-stuff should go directly into the hands of the person picking it exactly as I sent it. Given how big of a PITA returning stuff to the 48 can be at times, anything I can do to reduce the odds of an order being garbled is worthwhile.

Not that I have ever had any issue with a BBC order, that’s just what I find to be best in most situations.

It isn’t like you don’t usually know in advance which things are going to require special shipping. With freight shipment or hazmat you are pretty much stuck doing things the old fashioned way, but outside that (or special situations like Narfi living in the middle of BFE), costs are still fairly predictable. And in the event that an order can’t be shipped as received, then that’s the time for a phone call to a customer to discuss options.

Looking at it another way, those of us here on this forum would probably crawl over broken glass to order a set of Jacques’ plans, but I would venture to say that most of your customers probably don’t have that personal relationship or loyalty. When Joe Random Boatdude in AK realizes at 8pm on a Sunday that he needs another roll of biaxial tape, what is his easiest course of action? Is it to send an email to BBC, and wait for a response which he may or may not have time to respond to first thing in the morning, or is it to place an online order from the other place, and know that it will be taken care of with no further action required on his part. Joe also knows that BBC is at the complete opposite corner of the country from him, so no matter how good they are, any time lost is likely to mean he won’t have his tape in time for the weekend. Whereas the other place is on the west coast, and he’ll probably have it with a day or two to spare. All of the same considerations of package size, weight, and contents apply to both retailers but BBC has an inherent disadvantage even before deciding not to allow online checkout for Alaska addresses.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue May 21, 2019 11:55 am

Pricing the shipping to Alaska has been a problem since I created this business.
The problem is not really with shipping, that works but estimating the cost and have the web site calculate it correctly is almost impossible.
I remember the shipping of a kit that did cost us 7 or 8 hundreds $ extra because the truck had to go on a ferry and the shipper forgot to warn us of the extra cost. The kit got there and the boat was built but it was a bad experience for us.
In most cases, there will be no problem but get in touch with us and let us customize the cost of shipping. Once communication is established, things go smoothly.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Netpackrat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Tue May 21, 2019 1:33 pm

Curious where the boat was built where the kit had to ride the ferry?

I grew up in Cordova where everything had to go in or out by boat or airplane; my family was in the freight business. Occasionally we’d have a freight forwarder look at the map to see where their “closest” agent was, and then with no warning we would get a package show up for some logging camp, or even somewhere on the road system that was only closer to us as the crow flies.

Usually the answer to “you can’t get there from here” was to either send it back, or tender it to an air taxi operator, but once my stepmom was able to finagle a round trip ferry ticket when the forwarder was very insistent that WE must deliver a package to Copper Center. They didn’t care about the cost but I would hate to have gotten the bill for that.

But most stuff to most places in AK can go USPS, and a lot of that can go in a flat rate box. I love me some flat rate boxes. I know it can be a pain and I will contact you guys later about the plans I was trying to order. My main point though was that for smaller orders to AK going USPS, at least some of your competitors have got the online checkout thing figured out.