Scaling up the FS18 in width, it's not Easy!

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Scaling up the FS18 in width, it's not Easy!

Post by AtTheBrink » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:48 pm

Hey guys and gals,

It's been ages since I posted on the board. I used to live here! Any how, I have been getting some emails lately from guys interested in building an FS18 like mine, scaled up 10% in width only. This is great and I am flattered. I love my boat, it is freaking awesome and I wouldn't trade it for any production boat on the market. When I decided to build this boat the way I did I took a big risk. Scaling in one direction only isn't easy, ask Jacques, he does NOT recommend it. He has seen my boat in person and gave me some awesome compliments on it. When you scale width only you change every angle on the boat and there are lots of them! You change every diminsion of every panel. You are in essence taking a glance at the plans and then wadding them up and throwing them away. From there on out you are on your own in uncharted territory. Jacques designs these boats to be easily built from his plans, he is the expert. These designs have been tested. I am not trying to discourage anyone from trying something new, I am just letting you guys know it ain't easy! You are REdesigning the entire hull when scale in width only. I hope this answered some questions, if not, disregard. It is a big risk, but with great risk comes great reward, or catastrophic failure.... Know this before you scale up your boat.

You guys have a great day!!!

Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Scaling up the FS18 in width, it's not Easy!

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:38 am

Thank you for the post and you are absolutely correct.
Scaling in one direction only should be left to very experienced builders.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com