HM19 or HMD19 or P19?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
BogdanFerariu
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: HM19 or HMD19 or P19?

Post by BogdanFerariu » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:25 pm

jacquesmm wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:08 am
BogdanFerariu wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:08 am
Thanks.

What is the full weight of the standard HM19, ready to put on trailer?
Is it esy to lunch from the trailer?
I have no intention to change the car, and I saw people handling this boats with cranes, and that scared me.
I need it to be easy handling.
That weight is on the study plans page, about 500 kg. I say about because that is with the recommended engine, empty tank, some hardware, some gear.
I estimate what builders will put on the boat.

No need for a crane to launch that boat, a regular trailer is fine.
That 500 kg weight includes the engine and the superstructure, pilothouse and cabin?
If so, I have a 600 kg loading capacity?

About the P21, it have a beam wider than alowed on towing in some EU contries.

I like most the ideea of the HM19 with the interior of the HMD19.

Is it posible to shorten the motorwell in order to gain some space in the cockpit? Even if it is 6-7 inches? It looks pretty large.
That space will be for increasing the pilothouse and enclose it.
A light enclosure will make the boat usable in fall and spring. I try to make the boat as usefull as an RV, with ocasionaly sleeping on board.
This is why I need the standing height, not to walk around but to be able to stand wile using the galey, or to stand up once in a wile, during long periods on board.
For that, I can accept a little decrease in performance or a little uglyness.
I saw at the UncleRalph's HM19 the lowered sole on the cockpit and I think to do it myself that way, or to split the missing height, and obtain it half from lowering the sole, in the center of the cockpit only, and half from making the roof a little higher.
Those changes should be ok, since they do not modify the hull?

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:51 pm

And no sails on any of these boats. They are not sailboats!
designer: FB11/GV series/ HMD18/
SK17,21/MT24

BogdanFerariu
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BogdanFerariu » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:47 pm

Evan_Gatehouse wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:51 pm
And no sails on any of these boats. They are not sailboats!
Ok, no sail, it was just a wish for the displacement HMD19.

But about the changes I mentioned?

BogdanFerariu
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BogdanFerariu » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:16 am

My main question is about shorthening the motorwell on HM19.

Looking at the scale plans of the 3 boats, I figure that both the HMD19 and the P19 have a 2-foot 4 inches lenght motorwell, and the HM19 have a 3-foot 2 inches one.

I am aware they are 3 different types oh hulls, and the back of each is different,but I have to sort it out.

So, I can shorten that, and eventualy leave the original frame cut at the sole height?

BogdanFerariu
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BogdanFerariu » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:38 am

The study plans of HM19 says that a 10hp will provide displacement speed.
If i put a 20 hp, (I have to buy one for my FS14) and use it on both boats, it will do more than that hull speed?
The HM19 at hull speed is much less maneuverable than the HMD?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:23 am

I ran it through my calculator using rough numbers with the 20HP motor. At the designed 2500lbs displacement at DWL you will have a top speed of 15-17 mph. So, nothing spectacular but useable none the less.

Hope this helps.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:03 pm

BogdanFerariu wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:16 am
My main question is about shorthening the motorwell on HM19.

Looking at the scale plans of the 3 boats, I figure that both the HMD19 and the P19 have a 2-foot 4 inches lenght motorwell, and the HM19 have a 3-foot 2 inches one.

I am aware they are 3 different types oh hulls, and the back of each is different,but I have to sort it out.

So, I can shorten that, and eventualy leave the original frame cut at the sole height?
I don't have all of those plans in front of me, but would believe that the difference would be in placement of the frames on the HM19 vs the other two. If you have the plans for all 3 check the distance from the frame forward of the transom frame and see what they are. If not put in a rim frame so it is all the way around and top is even with the sole. Then build the motor well to the specifications of the P19. The big thing to remember is that you have to maintain the scantlings as designed to maintain the strength overall.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

BogdanFerariu
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BogdanFerariu » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:13 pm

TomW1 wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:23 am
I ran it through my calculator using rough numbers with the 20HP motor. At the designed 2500lbs displacement at DWL you will have a top speed of 15-17 mph. So, nothing spectacular but useable none the less.

Hope this helps.
Thank you.
That will be very good, much above the hull speed. But I was afraid not to stop at the hull speed, and waste the extra power. You think it will be possible?

If it is, it is great for my budget. I buy one engine, use it on both boats and regarding the HM19, it' like having the HMD, but cruise a little faster, the HMD could not pass his hull speed, right?
And if I need more speed, I can get a bigger engine in a couple of years.

blueflood
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by blueflood » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:25 pm

The HMD19's hull speed is around 6mph with an optimum 10hp outboard. Anything more in way of HP is likely wasted $$ and gas on that boat type for when that extra muscle is seldom required. Although at one time I did consider a 15hp but Evan and Ross were quite explicit in their recommendations to get a 10hp for economy (and instead use the saved cash to outfit her to your liking). Ultimately, I purchased a Mercury 9.9 high thrust Pro Kicker XL shaft / power trim & tilt with a 10" 4 bladed prop. A thing of beauty :D

On a side note I think you had mentioned full standing headroom somewhere on another thread - I lowered the pilothouse sole by 9" to give me standing headroom. I'm only 5'-5" (165cm) but that gave me around 3 inches to spare up above.

Marc
Last edited by blueflood on Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BogdanFerariu
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BogdanFerariu » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:32 pm

blueflood wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:25 pm
The HMD19's hull speed is around 6mph with an optimum 10hp outboard. Anything more in way of HP is likely wasted $$ and gas on that boat type for when that extra muscle is seldom required. Although at one time I did consider a 15hp but Evan and Ross were quite explicit in their recommendations to get a 10hp for economy (and instead use the saved cash to outfit her to your liking). Ultimately, I purchased a Mercury 9.9 Pro Kicker XL shaft / power trim & tilt. A thing of beauty :D

Marc
I know that on the HMD. I was talking about a 20 hp on the planing HM19, and was afraid that the boat will react like the displacement hull, if it haven't enough power to jump on plane, or she will go a litlle faster than the hull speed?