Photo posting tutorial

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
bateau-webmaster
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Photo posting tutorial

Post by bateau-webmaster » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:11 am

Yes BBCodes are all processed as the page is loaded, so the changes are all retroactive. Don't need to change anything unless you want the thumbnail there instead.

Cracker Larry wrote:Build on 8)
Jamie Fisk
Order Desk, Webmaster
Boat Builder Central, Bateau

Works
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Works » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:41 am

Which method of posting photos will keep them visible on the Forum for the longest time? When they are put in a post is the image in the post or is it just a link to the image on the host site where it originated?

I have gotten some great information off of some older posts, but some photos don't appear with the posts. For example, some show messages from Photobucket that they are unavailable or I need to update something to view images. Do photos posted on the builder gallery stay accessible longer? If the poster doesn't maintain an account with the other site ( photobucket, imgur, etc.) do they cease to be viewable on this forum?

Also, do you periodically delete photos out of builder's albums in the Gallery? If so, how long do they stay there?

Thanks for any info.

Works

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:54 am

Not knowing the future, the best spot for hosting seems to be the Builders Gallery http://gallery.bateau2.com. I can always see these pictures no matter where I am. The interface is clunky and linking pictures is just as clunky. Keep in mind that the forum lost some of those pictures in the past. Nothing is inflatable these days! :roll:

Jamie,

Are you backing the site up on a separate server now?

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:20 am

Works wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:41 am
Which method of posting photos will keep them visible on the Forum for the longest time? When they are put in a post is the image in the post or is it just a link to the image on the host site where it originated?
I agree that uploading photos to the bateau gallery is the best way to keep them with your posts, and the image in the post is via a link to the image.

There was a time when it was easy for a forum member when managing their photos in the BBC gallery to accidentally delete their entire album when intending to only delete a single photo. That happened to several people and is one reason why some of the older threads no longer have photos. To replace them would have meant uploading all the photos again and then editing all their posts containing photos to replace the old link with a new one.
Hank

bateau-webmaster
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bateau-webmaster » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:37 am

BB Sig is correct, the best method is to use http://gallery.bateau2.com to host all your images. Though the attachment feature within PHPBB works well now, it does not allow for unregistered users to view posted images.
Jamie Fisk
Order Desk, Webmaster

narfi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by narfi » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:14 pm

bateau-webmaster wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:37 am
BB Sig is correct, the best method is to use , it does not allow for unregistered users to view posted images.
Any hope for changing that? Or does it suck up too much band with from search bots?
I wouldn't think it would effect your server any differently to have them open to the public than liked from the gallery since both are on your server?

bateau-webmaster
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bateau-webmaster » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:13 pm

I'll have to look into it on Monday. It's a permissions setting, and PHPBB's permissions system is . . . interesting. There are some permissions that are set in more than one place.
Jamie Fisk
Order Desk, Webmaster

Works
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Works » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:06 pm

Thank you all for the replies.

Works