PX14 Deckjig question

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

PX14 Deckjig question

Post by gonandkarl » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:34 am

Hi,
Unfortunately I do not understand the dimensions for the deck jig. Its says in the update notes:

Deck Jig
Reading from the left of the drawing the measurements are: 5, 140(horizontal dimension), 30, 100,
150, 183, 195, ALL 500 (horizontal dimension), 195, 180, 145, 90, 140 (horizontal dimension), 70
The cutout in the jig doesn't have to be too accurate as the ply will form a fair shape.

I assume these measurements are millimeters and of what drawing are we talking of the one on sheet 1on the right hand side ? The first lot are seven numbers and the second 6 numbers and what do these 3 times mentioning of horizontal dimension mean, are the ones following the horizontal dimension vertical dimensions and in the middle of it all stands ALL 500 does that refer to the stations ?

I am utterly confused as I actually think with these measurements I should be able to produce the hole for the hull on the flat chipboard.

I hope Richard Wood can give me an answer as it is his design.

I moved this post from Small Boats to here, because Richard is most probably checking Questions before purchasing .and announcements only. I have purchased the plan for the PX14 quite awhile ago.
Greetings from Karl

Greeings from Karl

All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Woods Designs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: PX14 Deckjig question

Post by Woods Designs » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:09 am

My apologies for the confusion.

Yes the drawing is at the top right. And yes in mm, but only half widths. Ie distance out from the hull centreline on each side of the boat. The bow is to the left. The width dimensions are 500 apart, hence "All 500", except for the ones mentioned as "horizontal"
ie 140 at bow and 140 at transom. The other measurements are the widths, starting at the bow at 5mm ending at the transom at 70

The deck jig does not follow the sheer, there will be more boat sticking up out of the jig at the bow than at the stern. You make a jig to have the hull at a convenient working height and to stop it twisting.

Hope that helps, please email me direct at woodsdesigns@gmail.com for any more build queries.

Richard Woods

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: PX14 Deckjig question

Post by gonandkarl » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:38 am

Thanks Richard,
This explains it fine, maybe I could have found it out if I would have the jig already in front of me, but I am still busy studying the plan and in theory my imagination was too limited to understand that the measurements are from the centre line.
Thanks again and fair winds were ever You are sailing.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433