Laguna Madre 18 Aluminum?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
aggie007
New Poster
New Poster

Laguna Madre 18 Aluminum?

Post by aggie007 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:05 am

Can plans be made available for aluminum construction of the LM18?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Laguna Madre 18 Aluminum?

Post by TomW1 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:57 pm

If you are familiar with building in aluminum you can do so, but no plans are available for doing so. You will have to determine the aluminum gauge to use to make the curves of the hull and the thickness of the transom and frames, and stringers.

Is there any reason you want to build in aluminum?
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:30 pm

Thanks Tom.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

aggie007
New Poster
New Poster

Post by aggie007 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:29 pm

The reason I am leaning towards aluminum is that I fish areas that are heavy with oyster reefs and would also like to be able to fish rivers in the Ozarks with the same boat and not worry about hitting a stump or rock. I just need to compare weight of the aluminum vs. stitch and glue and see if it is worth it. If I used 0.125" aluminum I should come out close the same.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:16 pm

Al and S&G hulls are about the same weight.
Al is noisy.
If somebody is comfortable with AL, he should be able to estimate what kind of framing is needed.

This sumer, I was in Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Colorado. I did spend about 2 weeks travelling to look at drift boat, talking to their owners and builders: ClackaCraft, Hyde and some others.
Most of those are fiberglass single skin, some were epoxy plywood but no Al.
The only Al boats I saw were the white water jet boats.

If you are thinking of a drift boat, epoxy-plywoood with an extra layer of glass at the bottom and an epoxy-graphite coat will be fine.
For a jet boat, I would go for Al.

To build with Al, you can use the exact same dimensions, the hull panels will be the same.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:29 pm

Having fished both aluminium and glass boats commercially and for sport I feel there are advantages and disadvantages to both materials. Metal boats are noisy and cold when compared to glass boats. The upside is they take the day to day beating, banging and dock rash much better. 90% of the time they are not painted so you do not need to worry over the finish=less work :D
My problem is I do not know how to weld aluminium so building is a moot point for me. Welding aluminium and getting it right is a lot harder than it seems. I have seen far too many boats built by "professional" welders crack out for me to try it.

aggie007
New Poster
New Poster

Post by aggie007 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:00 pm

Welding aluminum will be no prob. There are some ways to quiet the boats down by adding foam in the hull and can add foam decking or can spray the deck with a bedliner material, but those options add weight so just depends on whether you want to sacrifice the draft and speed. I am wanting to build a poling skiff, not a drift boat. Thank you for the replies.