C17 Berth Question from a Customer

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

C17 Berth Question from a Customer

Post by Reid » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:08 pm

Hey all,

Here is a question that was sent to me via email. Jacques gave some good feedback and suggested that it get posted in case anyone else had a similar question.
Question from Customer:
As you mentioned the Berth is 180cm long and as I am 190cm I would like to have a 200cm Berth. Is it possible to move the cabin wall back for 20cm to get a longer Berth or would that weaken the Structure of the boat?
And in order to get a longer Cockpit then, is it possible to leave away the two boxes in the back of the boat?
I can do the modifications on the plan as I work with CAD programs, but I don´t know much about structure and stability of boats...

Answer from Jacuques:
Here is my answer: the C17 is a small boat and the sleeping accommodations are small too.
The length of the berth measured along a diagonal in the middle of a berth is exactly 187 cm (95").
I could play tricks and measure from corner to corner and that would give us 195 cm but I measure as people would sleep.
We can't move the forward bulkhead and it would not be wide enough there anyway.
The builder can move the cockpit bulkhead back max. 20 cm (8").
This means building the boat as designed on molds and after the inside fiberglass, takes measurements for that new bulkhead. It will be very clos to the bulkhead I show on the plans since there is almost no hull curvature there. Differences will be 5 mm (1/4") or less. One could use the bulkhead dimensions I show on the plans especially if the bulkhead moves back only 10 cm.

To move the "boxes" in the back of the cockpit creates another problem. Those boxes are based on the motorwell bulkhead and if you move that bulkhead back, you will not be able to tilt the engine all the way up. The cables and cowling will hit the bulkhead. I would not do it.

The best answer to that request is to propose a CX19 or P19. They have about the same hull shape but with much more room. The cabin style can be changed easily. It is much easier to modify a cabin or pilothouse than to move bulkheads.

Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

narfi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: C17 Berth Question from a Customer

Post by narfi » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:48 pm

Could he put the engine on a bracket behind the transom and then be able to remove those rear boxes?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:59 pm

The C17 is too small for a bracket, it would affect the balance of the boat.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:14 pm

Humor...

It might be easier to shorten the person at this point :)

danieloldhouse
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by danieloldhouse » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:01 pm

Jaysen wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:14 pm
Humor...

It might be easier to shorten the person at this point :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: nice Jaysen!