Idle question

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Rogerogrant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Idle question

Post by Rogerogrant » Tue May 15, 2018 2:50 pm

Hey y'all!

So, in obsessively thinking about "the big boat", despite barely having "the little boat" filleted and taped ( :oops: :lol: ), I've come to quite like the sort of bad-ass modern utilitarian look of these Finnish boats called XO. Here's a Google image link to give you an idea: https://www.google.com/search?q=xo+boat ... 68&bih=904
Axopar of Australia makes similar designs. Sort of the boat equivelant of an offroad SUV...

Anyway, in looking at the hulls as much as I can, I don't think there's anything terribly radical or difficult about them (e.g. steps, crazy chines, etc.). Indeed, it looks like the DE25 in a lot of ways, just with a different sheer and partially plumb bow. I think the chine on the XO designs is harder too (maybe reversed) but I can't really tell just based on internet pics and the DE25 study plans.
If I got the proverbial wild-hair to adapt a Jacques design to similar cosmetics, do y'all agree about the DE25? I saw a thread about a similar modification to the CS25, and PeterCuraçao felt that the Gulfstream 28 was a better candidate for such treatment. My thinking on the DE25 is that deep, forward forefoot feels a little more similar and would probably lend itself to the plumb bow treatmeant without really affecting the running characterstics of Jacque's design.

Thanks everyone!

-Patrick

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Idle question

Post by jacquesmm » Tue May 15, 2018 2:59 pm

It is possible to adapt some of my designs to get that look but what is that attracts you to those boats?
Aesthetics is easy, I or you can build one of those boats with a plumb bow, a reverse transom and add a squarish cabin but they also have a deeper vee. I am not worried about the chine, the CS23 and 25 have that kind of chine.
First, is the looks you are after?
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Rogerogrant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rogerogrant » Tue May 15, 2018 3:47 pm

Hi Jacques!

Pretty much, yeah. I like the plumb bow and the flush foredeck. It's stupid I know (function should trump form) but I *hate* the look of trunk cabins. In a smaller bost that means less headroom of course...

I wouldn't actually want a fully enclosed cabin like that, but I think a forward raked windshield and hardtop with bench seating aft of the helm and a center console style island would be good (similar to the Belzona boats).

This is an extreme version of the same vibe I think, which I generally DON'T like, but does address that headroom issue, and is certainly "modern"! :lol:

furiousgeorge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by furiousgeorge » Wed May 16, 2018 10:57 am

They're a good looking boat that's for sure.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed May 16, 2018 11:45 am

I like the raised deck.
All the boat you look at are in the 30 to 40' range. To design something in that style around 25' would change the proportions.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Wed May 16, 2018 2:22 pm

Great look. Especially in a 32' length... :wink:

Rogerogrant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rogerogrant » Wed May 16, 2018 2:34 pm

I like the raised deck too, and definitely like the willingness to embrace a bit of modern architecture in the design, I'm just not sure about visibility from the helm with that giant volume in the front...

Anyway, I guess Axopar is also Finnish. For some reason I thought they were Aussies.

To your point about LOA, Jacques, yes those images I posted are of bigger boats so probably weren't the best examples. XO does make a 28 foot (8' 6" beam) model in a couple configurations that is probably more appropriate to discuss as far as adapting an existing Mertens-Goosens design. :-D
Here's a link to the spec sheet on that hull: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rry8wj4mcyf54 ... F.pdf?dl=0

At that size the little pilot house thing might be more necessary for overnight/heavy weather accommodations...I'm not sure....
heat and sun are our issues here in the Gulf coast area rather than cold and rain (for the most part) I reckon.
One thing I like about their designs in general is the rather clever use of space. I feel like that's often oddly lacking in some boat designs, especially NC style sportfishers - it's a boat not a luxury condo! :lol:
The berth hidden under the helm and bow bench in the open bow version of the 28 foot hull is a good example:

By the way Jacques, I found this image of the full hull and I see what you mean about the deeper V!

Good for slicing through waves, not so good for the seasick! 8-O

-PT

Matt Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent » Wed May 16, 2018 4:39 pm

I'd suggest to take some of the scaled study plans drawings and sketch up what you like - I find that it makes for some cheap (free!) entertainment, and you get a sense for what does or doesn't work at different sizes.

I own a DE25 and would say that it has anything but a deep forefoot - the rake of the bow is in part due to the bent plywood construction method. Boats built with the deeper entry and more plumb bows tend to be cold molded or strip rather than S&G.

Something like the FL26 is closer to that profile, but a much different performance model than the Axopars:

There are a bunch of those Axopars showing up around South Florida; their layout with the aft cabin is a different approach to a mult-use camping boat. Not in everyone's taste but I like some things that are funky and different but still perform. Not many (any?) other single outboard, 28' cabin boats around that perform close to them.

Rogerogrant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rogerogrant » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:43 pm

So getting back to this, do we think any of the JM hulls are possible candidates for such treatment without requiring a full redesign?
CS25? LB26?

Grit19
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Grit19 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:19 am

Wow! That kind of boat looks super cool. If there were plans here to build something like that, I'd get them.

Of course, my whole purpose for coming to this site in the first place was for a bass boat--which I will still do. That is going to be a father / son project that my son will get to keep. The kind of boat described here will have to come after the bass boat.

But again.... If that design of boat is made available here, I'm gonna build it! Fo sho...

I'm already dreaming about it
Gib
There ain’t no ride like this in Disneyland!