FS14_LS honeycomb

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
mpmilliet
New Poster
New Poster

FS14_LS honeycomb

Post by mpmilliet » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:22 pm

The plan preview for the FS14_LS mentions a honeycomb fiberglass version and implies the plan for that version is available. I can't see to find it on the plans part of the web. Does anyone know if this plan actually exists?

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FS14_LS honeycomb

Post by Jeff » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:57 pm

mpmilliet, Welcome to the Builders Forum!! Jacques is stilling working on the foam version of the FS14 LS Plans. But to give you a perspective, you will use the same number of sheets of DivinyCell as noted on the plans using marine plywood. Let me get with Jacques and I will see where he is on the Foam Version!! By the way, I do have a FS14 LS (marine plywood version) built by SeaSlug should you want to come by the shop and have a look as I think I remember you are in Florida?? Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:58 pm

Sorry, my error, just saw you were in LA!! Jeff

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:22 pm

I am still working on the foam building notes. I am at about 10,000 words for the simplified version of the standard notes and I still need to put together pictures and drawings to illustrate the notes.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

mpmilliet
New Poster
New Poster

Post by mpmilliet » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:50 pm

Thanks Jeff and Jacques for the reply. Not sure I am going to go with foam but thought I would ask about the plan. Take your time with the plan Jacques - I am in no hurry.

Mike Milliet

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:49 pm

Each plan for foam sandwich will be based on the plywood-epoxy plan but revised for foam. Because of the thickness of the foam, some dimensions will change. There will also be changes in the framing.
The goal is to have one general shop manual for all foam sandwich hulls of a certain category: small flat bottom boats, small planing boats, medium size planing hulls etc. and specific plans with short notes for each boat.
I am almost ready with the manuals but have only 2 or 3 plans started. The FS14 will be one of the first.

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by seaslug » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:27 pm

Some questions for Jacque's, I know you have already commented on foam builds many times but I can't recall the details. What are the advantages, if any, of foam construction, especially on such a small boat as the FS14. I thought the weight would be close to the same because of using more cloth and resin for the foam. The reason I'm asking is a friend is planning on building the same boat Travis is building, the Conchfish 16 by Chris Morejon because he's always loved the original Whipray design, and this is his recent re-design. Like most of us, he could never afford a Hell's Bay. This is the reason I built the FS18, because I couldn't afford one either. He plans on purchasing as much of the materials as he can from BBC, and I'm going to assist in the building as I find time. Personally I can't see any advantage to a foam hull based on my experience with stitch and glue construction. My FS18 is lighter than the Hell's Bay Glades Skiff, much stiffer, and with a better ride. Can we build the hull with foam and than build the decks with Okoume, because that will be much easier for me since I'm familiar with the process. If so, would we use wood cleats along the sheer etc. or foam cleats, or does it not matter? Also, what is the best foam to use for the hull, for bulkheads, and especially the transom? Sorry for all the questions, and if you don't want to answer, since this is not your design, I understand, and just disregard this post. Thanks, Mike

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:19 am

I answered all that in the foam sandwich shop manual that I am writing now.
I revised my position on weight: after building a couple small boats in foam sandwich, I found out that we can save weight.
My previous opinion was based on my experience with larger boats and I also exaggerated the need for resistance to puncture.

You will see all that when I publish the shop manual online.