Bass Boat

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
CuriousGeorge

Bass Boat

Post by CuriousGeorge » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:38 pm

Hello all,

What a cool community this is! I found it after watching Peter's CX25 video on YouTube.

So, I have an interest in making a bass boat. I live in Texas and would only fish is freshwater lakes. Obviously, the GP21 (bass boat version) seems to fit the bill, but it doesn't seem that anyone has built it. Anyone have ideas why not? Can anyone think why that would not be the best choice for me? Does anyone have any other suggestions I should consider?

All input is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Curious G

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Bass Boat

Post by BarraMan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:24 am

The GP21 built as a bass boat certainly fits the bill, as would one of the Phantoms.

Don’t be put off by the fact that nobody appears to have built one. There could be a number of reasons:

1) just hasn’t happened yet
2) it has happened but they haven’t posted on here

There are plans for Phantoms in 15’, 16’, 18’ and 22’ models.

My personal preference in that style of boat would be the GP21 over the PH22.

Probably worth keeping in mind that 21’ is big in that type of boat, but if that suits your needs, then go for it I say.

I have two boats, one about 14’ and the other 22’. The little boat doesn’t get out much since the big one came along!. :D

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:22 am

CuriousGeorge, Welcome to our Builders Forum!! Just keep looking and asking questions although I have looked back and cannot find any photos of the GP21 (Bass Boat). As BarraMan said, I am sure they are out there, just maybe the builder did not start a forum thread and share the build with all of us!! Again, welcome and we look forward to watching what you decide to build!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:32 pm

A PH18 makes a good bass boat also go down to Builder's Power Boats and search for Mark's PH18 it Toronto.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

Grit19
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Grit19 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:01 pm

I am new here, but am also interested in a bass boat. However, I am not that knowledgeable about boats so I need a lot of help please! :)

I looked at the Phantom boats and indeed some folks have made a bass platform on it. I also saw that some bass boats have been made on the GV15.

From my limited perspective, can someone explain to me the differences between the Phantom hull and the Garvey hull (It seems that the GP21 is using a Garvey hull too)?

Also: If I add the cost of the plans, the CNC Kit, and the SilverTip Epoxy - Fiberglass Kit. I come up with the following:
GP21-BB: $10,760
GV15: $4,274
GV17: $5,050
PH18: $6,315
PH22: $9,740

It seems that the GP21 has a premium cost (it has the highest cost in every catgory, to include the cost of the plans). Can someone help me understand why the GP21 costs so much more?

Thanks!
Gib
There ain’t no ride like this in Disneyland!

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:16 pm

When I look at different plans to compare them to each other one thing I look at is material. Not all plans use the same thickness so I add up the number of 1/8ths. 1/2=4, 3/8=3 and so on. Between this and the amount of resin the plans call for you can get a pretty good idea of the bigger boat. So in this case the GP-21 is quite a bit larger boat than the PH-22 is. Also the plans are much newer so the plan price more reflects today’s prices for the designers time.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:31 pm

Grit19 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:01 pm
I am new here, but am also interested in a bass boat. However, I am not that knowledgeable about boats so I need a lot of help please! :)

I looked at the Phantom boats and indeed some folks have made a bass platform on it. I also saw that some bass boats have been made on the GV15.

From my limited perspective, can someone explain to me the differences between the Phantom hull and the Garvey hull (It seems that the GP21 is using a Garvey hull too)?

Also: If I add the cost of the plans, the CNC Kit, and the SilverTip Epoxy - Fiberglass Kit. I come up with the following:
GP21-BB: $10,760
GV15: $4,274
GV17: $5,050
PH18: $6,315
PH22: $9,740

It seems that the GP21 has a premium cost (it has the highest cost in every catgory, to include the cost of the plans). Can someone help me understand why the GP21 costs so much moreThanks!
Gib

You have to look at all the factors involved in each design. The GV are flat bottomed boats and will not ride well in a like a PH or GP. They are also less spacious so you have to factor that into your consideration. For a bass boat I would not go smaller than 17'. You need the room for live wells, rod storage, and tackle space. Bass boats are desisned to be used with multiple rods and lures and bait. They can be used inland or shallow inshore. They are not made for offshore use. The PH22 is sort of an exception as it can used as a bay boat in larger bodies of water.

The GP21 is 3' longer and 7" wider than the PH18 thus the higher price of materials.

You also have to look at how much HP you can afford. A GV17 can get by with a 60 while a GV21 will be happier with a 150 do to her weight.

Lot's of things to consider and they all are counter intuitive. What one boat offers an other can better at a price. Remember these boats will last your life time so build what you really want now.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

Chuck H
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chuck H » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:47 pm

Welcome Curious George and Grit19,

The GP21 is a fairly recent design, sometimes it takes a while for a boat to find the right builder. Even if someone jumped right on it they might not have had time to finish it.

Grit 19, the reason the GP21 seems more expensive is that the BOM already includes the additional materials for the huge casting decks, if you'll look at the center console version, the BOM is similar to the PH22. You'll want to take that into account if you want to use a similar layout on one of the other designs, it could take most of 2 sheets of plywood to build a 4 ft. Deck and it's supporting structure.

All of the boats mentioned so far could be good for bass fishing but none would be good for crossing Toledo Bend or Sam Rayburn at 60 miles per hour. Depending on your definition of "bassboat" they may or may not be good choices.

Good luck and have fun with your protects.

Chuck

Grit19
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Grit19 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:13 pm

Good info. Thanks.
Let me ask this: This boat would be for my son who is 16 right now. Would I be ok with him in a 21 foot boat, or would something smaller, like a GV15 or GV17 be better for him? This isn’t so much a building question as it is for things like controllability, ease of maneuver etc. This boat would only need to carry 2 people max, and would only be used in freshwater lakes. In that regard, what is the difference between the GV boats and the GP21? Gib
There ain’t no ride like this in Disneyland!

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:18 pm

Just throwing this out there as every build it different, but you’re gonna spend WAY more than those numbers to build just the hulls. You’re not thinking of the sandpaper, tools, extra wood framing, paint, foam, electronics, electrical, plumbing, gas tank, fairing material, trailer, engine, lighting, rubrail, hardware, extra plywood/fiberglass/epoxy for a console, decking, nonskid, etc that goes into it.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s ABSOLUTELY worth the time and money, and I’m already planning my third boat. Just want anyone to go into this with realistic expectations. I guarantee that 90+% of us who have built a boat have used more epoxy, plywood, and fiberglass than the plans call for (learning curve, desire to overbuild, and options).

My GV15 center console was heavily modified, and built with top end electronics, new motor, GPS/remote trolling motor, etc. My real world costs were more than 4 times what is listed above for a GV15.

Btw Grit: Is highly recommend the GV15! I don’t think i could have a better 2 man lake fishing machine! It’s wide and stable, handles snotty Lake weather fine, drafts about 5”, easily poled, and with the 50hp it FLYS! (Up to mid 30s mph). I can fish all weekend on 10 gallons of gas.

Love it,

Will

Edit: Tom the GV are not flat bottoms GV means Garvey V bottom. I wanna sat mine is about 6-8 degrees at the transom. The GF series are the flat bottoms

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one