LM18 logistics and questions

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
WagstaffArchery
New Poster
New Poster

LM18 logistics and questions

Post by WagstaffArchery » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:47 pm

First thanks for all the great information on this forum and any information y’all give me on my boat building journey.
I’d like to build the Laguna Madre 18 since it’s namesake is my home waters. However I wonder if it will work for me. My main concern is weight capacity. I am every bit of 250 and I plan to fish with my father who is every bit of 250-300. That’s 550 of the 765 available. Once I add a battery, motor, ice chest, paint, poling/casting platform, and a tank of gas etc. surely I’d be over weight. Can I raise the sole up or use ball scuppers and just live with extra displacement?

I also don’t know the utility difference between the hard chine and the round chine. I assume the round chine helps with hull slap?

Similarly I don’t know the utility difference between the low sheer and standard version.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: LM18 logistics and questions

Post by TomW1 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:25 am

Don't worry about weight to much. I just propped Colemanfire's LM18 with 1500lbs and a 30HP Suzuki. He weighed his boat on a scale with a full load except the people and added them, so this is an accurate weight. Top speed will be about 30 and he will lose a little amount of draft not yet measured. Your extra 100 - 150lbs of weight will slow you down 3 - 4mph but that is all and you might lose an inch of draft, but that is all. I would look at the 30/40 Yamaha motors they are identical except for some tuning for the 40.

In reality there is very little difference in hull slap as the rounded chine only is for the first 6 or so feet.

The difference in the low sheer and the regular LM is 5" lower. Theoretically it reduces the effect of wind on the boat when poling, drifting or using a trolling motor. Just remember that the lower sheer reduces the safety factor in the boat.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:19 am

The chine is where the side of the boat meets the bottom of the boat (round or standard). Shear is the top of the side of the boat. Freeboard is how much of the side of the boat is out of the water, so low shear would have 5" less freeboard. Tom mentioned that the low shear is slow the boat doesn't catch in the wind so easy. The size of the both of you are already big wind catchers! :) Colemanfire's LM18 is the first one from the forum to be completed and launched and is a very beautiful boat. There are others in the works.

Welcome to the forum and keep asking questions, you will get lots of help! Hopefully it is a Father Son build and it will be an adventure you guys will enjoy over the coming years. Read all the tutorials because they are loaded with key tips on how to do things, oh and the "how to" also. Take lots of pictures! It helps document the adventure and be sure and share them on the forum. Mistakes happen, don't stress, working with wood and epoxy is very forgiving and can be fixed. 8O

Good luck and enjoy,
OQ

WagstaffArchery
New Poster
New Poster

Post by WagstaffArchery » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:50 pm

Thanks! I guess I was just overthinking it.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:32 pm

WagstaffArchery wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:47 pm
First thanks for all the great information on this forum and any information y’all give me on my boat building journey.
I’d like to build the Laguna Madre 18 since it’s namesake is my home waters. However I wonder if it will work for me. My main concern is weight capacity. I am every bit of 250 and I plan to fish with my father who is every bit of 250-300. That’s 550 of the 765 available. Once I add a battery, motor, ice chest, paint, poling/casting platform, and a tank of gas etc. surely I’d be over weight. Can I raise the sole up or use ball scuppers and just live with extra displacement?

I also don’t know the utility difference between the hard chine and the round chine. I assume the round chine helps with hull slap?

Similarly I don’t know the utility difference between the low sheer and standard version.

Any help or advice is appreciated.
I'm close to starting LM18 build with the low sheer and round chine. From what I got from those who have the low sheer boats, is there no sides to lean against. The cockpit floor (sole) to deck is about 7". That's the safety part!

I plan on not building the cockpit! Something like a big paddle board. I'm only using the motor I use on my FS14 (almost in the water), a 2017 Tohatsu 9.8 4 stroke (87lbs.), 20 mph(+/-). I have a poling platform and jack plate I'm going to use also. Remember this boat was designed as a poling skiff.... Also, the round chine does look better, but could be a small challenge to build (lots of help on the forum).

Have fun, get the plans and go over them. I would get the CnC kit and use BBC's MarinEpoxy. I'm only using the slow hardener.

I think I have the only LM18 LS RC getting close to being built.
Bob.
FS14 (SandPiper) launched 10/20/2018

LM18 Starting build in November 2018

K2FS18
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by K2FS18 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:43 am

Go with the round chine. I built the FS18 and the round chine was no problem at all. You may want to consider rod storage if you go with the low sheer. Small boats, everything needs to be thought-out about placement.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:18 pm

K2FS18 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:43 am
You may want to consider rod storage if you go with the low sheer. Small boats, everything needs to be thought-out about placement.
Could not agree more. One thing about building your own boat it how easy it is to custom build storage areas.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:31 am

Hello Wagstaff. I'm from San Antonio, living in Blanco now. The CNC kit will cost you more but save some time. It does eliminate a fun part of the build though, measuring and cutting out the panels. That was fun for me and not difficult. Also, once in West Marine in SA (before they closed) I was asking a question to the store clerk and some guy that had just restored a dinghy chimed in. He was something of a blowhard and went on and on. I mentioned my build (LB22) and he was a bit taken aback. Then asked, "what, did you buy a kit?" I gave him a confused look and said "Kit? No, but I bought some plans". He wilted a bit and in my vanity I was pleased. Couldn't have said that if I'd gone with the CNC kit :)

I sure agree with the MarinEpoxy, but also I did like the Silvertip epoxy for laminating quite a bit. I've since laminated two small builds with the Marinepoxy so it's fine, but for a little more $$ the Silvertip sure is nice and a bit easier to wet out with. Easyfillet is nice too, and Quickfair is great.

Dougster

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:53 am

WagstaffArchery, Welcome to our Builders Forum!! As you can see, ask a few questions and you will get a solid response!! Again, welcome, Jeff

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:40 am

About the low shear LM18, it's 5" less freeboard! Short shaft, but you could raise the jack plate up for a long shaft, that will put a lot of weight higher up! I got my LM18 LS RC kit (CnC) and epoxy from someone who was not able to build a boat right now. I would have gotten the standard hull with the round chine.

It's a big boat, 18 ft. add the motor and trailer... 25 ft.?!

My FS14 was built in my carport 10' x 20', it was and is a tight space!

I will not be building the tunnel, JM and others have said stay away....
FS14 (SandPiper) launched 10/20/2018

LM18 Starting build in November 2018