My daughter wants a boat.

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
jtdums
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: My daughter wants a boat.

Post by jtdums » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:30 am

What is it with daughters and red boats? :D

I think most of these designs are creeping up in size and weight for your requirements to wheel it down a hill by hand. Also, once you start configuring for remote steering the weight will jump too.

You have done a nice study of the size you are thinking, but the fs12 would still be my (obviously biased) choice. If you look at the study plans for some of the ones you note, the horse power range is on the higher end. I suspect this is because some of these 12 footers are built heavy and wide and will need extra power to get up on plane. Start looking at the weight of the outboard and I would again worry about wheeling this by hand.

Sanding is cathartic...

Matt Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:28 am

Tillers offer a lot more flexibility and space in small boats, but that’s hard to argue with a 7yo. Maybe a small side console, but then a lot harder to remove the engine with controls.

I’d look at Fleet from Lillistone.

Christer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Christer » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:37 am

jtdums wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:30 am
What is it with daughters and red boats? :D

I think most of these designs are creeping up in size and weight for your requirements to wheel it down a hill by hand. Also, once you start configuring for remote steering the weight will jump too.

You have done a nice study of the size you are thinking, but the fs12 would still be my (obviously biased) choice. If you look at the study plans for some of the ones you note, the horse power range is on the higher end. I suspect this is because some of these 12 footers are built heavy and wide and will need extra power to get up on plane. Start looking at the weight of the outboard and I would again worry about wheeling this by hand.
She originally wanted to paint it purple and pink, so red is fine by me :)

I've done some weight estimates, and the FS12 weighs in at 72 kgs. Fuel tank with fuel, oars, ropes, a few fenders and the engine, and we're easily at 100 kgs, and any dollying that much weight around is out of the question. So a trailer is a requirement regardless of how much I want to avoid taking the car to get the boat in the water.
8ft dinghy built in 1992, BBV sufferer ever since.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:24 am

Sorry for the late reply, I was on a 10 day vacation, out of the country, no internet.

My vote goes to the FS12. Many elementary schools have built the FL12, the FS12 is close but can plane.
Those boats are much easier to build than the RB12.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Christer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Christer » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:53 pm

Jacques, thanks for replying.

I'm leaning towards the FS12 myself for a number of reasons - it's the right size, it's open, I can stuff a CC in there if need be, it's relatively light, it's cheap and fast to build so that my daughter won't lose interest in the build along the way. Hopefully.

Will good quality exterior ply be appropriate for the FS12, or do I need to source marine plywood? There are a number of lumber yards locally, but I'm not sure if they stock or can even get marine ply, as they are more geared towards house building supplies. I have managed to find one yard in Norway that sells marine ply, but it is of course located at the opposite side of the country.
8ft dinghy built in 1992, BBV sufferer ever since.

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:22 pm

Do good marine ply if at all possible. It's stronger, you can sometimes get away with thinner. Takes WAY less epoxy and time to seal and sand and sand and sand and finish. And you'll get a way lighter boat.

I built each of my kids a scaled down CC14, according to their size. My daughter's is about 80% of full size, made of 2.5mm mahogany or lauan ply (not sure which but it passed a boil and soak test). My son's is the same width but about 7' long, made of 1/4" AC exterior. It's smaller but nearly twice as heavy as my daughter's boat.

Working with the good stuff is just more fun.

So, been there, done that, now I know better.