TW 28

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
icelikkilinc
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: TW 28

Post by icelikkilinc » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:39 am

You cannot have a 2 inboard diesel engines on TW28, design is to have a single engine feeding a prop shaft through NACA keel and to the prop. The underbody flow towards the stern will not allow to have 2 side by side engines.
I know off and used Lombaridini's, they are very noisy but durable, nearly 99% local fisherman use them in Turkey because of their running costs and durability.
But you are way better to have 1 indoor diesel 50-60 hp range and 1 outboard kicker on bracket for safety as Peter's setup.
Last edited by icelikkilinc on Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ilker

TW28 launch: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=23369

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:26 am

Icelikklinc is correct, it will not work.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Corto Maltese
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corto Maltese » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:51 am

In a year I'm probably going to put my TW28 in water. Cutting the ply according the plans wasn't a big deal compared to endless sanding :D Looking back that was most enjoyable work and it didn't take as much time and effort.
I don't understand how you'd mount that twine engines on the box keel of tw28. I've put inside a 42hp Beta Marine (Kubota base).
Cheers,
Dario

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:31 pm

Wolfgang we have not heard from you since your first post. It is not feasible to use twin diesels. A single with a separate gas kicker will give you a safety margin but there will be little need for it as long as you maintain your diesel and buy fuel from a reputable dealer. I have a 35HP Russian Belarus tractor that is 30 years old and is still running fine. As Jacques said the motor you are looking at is a good one.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

vla
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by vla » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:46 am

Wolfgang,

Wonderfull another TW28 builder! Good choise, we sail a TW28 for some years now and it is a fantastic boat. We ordered a CNC-kit. The amount of moneu I had to pay for the kit and the shipping together was almost as much as the marine plywood (Bruynzeel Suprahecht, suprahecht is about the best marine plywood you can get) bought localy. I would advice you to calculate everthing another time. A kit saves you a lot of time. An it is nice to see the shape of the baot in only e few day's. Very motivating.
Jacques, when ever you are in Europe, you are welcome to visit us and to see the Stoere meid.

Allard

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:48 am

Hi Wolfgang,
As I am a bateau customer for a couple of years having built 2 boats from bateau plans here in Austria , I would advise you to find out the shipping costs for a TW28. One Norwegian builder I remember, mentioned that it cost approximately 1500 dollars to have the kit shipped to Oslo. It should be about the same to Austria. Our builder friend Dario posting under Corto Maltese is on the other hand right that drawing and cutting it out does not take all that long, the pieces for the TW28 are all big and the plans have for sure a perfect nesting suggestion for the 56 plywood panels. If you need any help please contact me as I am also an Austrian boat builder and my wife has decided no more boat building in our garden.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433