Harbor Launch plans

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Matt Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Harbor Launch plans

Post by Matt Gent » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:04 pm

My dad is nearing retirement and would like to build a putt-putt boat for the waterways around Ft. Lauderdale. He'd like it to be traditional in styling. His dream is steam power, but I'm trying to steer him to something more practical. I think a small, hidden OB on a boat with simple construction is the ticket. He's built a few boats but its been a loooong time.

S&G doesn't lend itself to compound curvature. I don't see much of anything within the Bateau library that would fit the bill. Possibly a Nina, built with a coaming around the cockpit instead of the cabin or windshield. Maybe a Nina scaled down 10%.

Basically he wants to build a Duffy:

16-21', seating for six adults, accomodations for some shade. Displacing or maybe semi-displacing speeds. Easy build in a 2-car garage.

Handy Billy 18 or 21 are nearly perfect, other than construction. Anything along these lines on the JM drawing board? Or other suggestions to consider?

Thanks
Matt

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Harbor Launch plans

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:00 pm

No plans right now but your photo shows a very nice boat.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:55 pm

Hi Matt take a look at the C19 or OB19. With just a little bit of rounding the last two frames and upper transom you could get the shape of the Amp-L-Fun. You can't do as much but a smaller curve is possible. A motor can be selected that will not show much such as a Mercury sterndrive. Jacques can help with installation. As long as you do not change the bottom below the chine your fine.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Matt Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:34 pm

The proportions, stem, and chine on those are nowhere near what he is looking for.

Glen-L has a stitch-n-glue launch "Lo-Voltage" which is close, but not the most beautiful thing.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:23 am

Matt,

How about the Harbor Master Displacement 19 without the cabin or the Seabright Tunnel 21? Both could probably be made to have some tumblehome in the rear with some modification to the transom and rear frames, similar to the methods used for the Runabout Series. Glossiebacks’s “Skinny Dip” in the Builder’s Power Boat forum, looks to be pretty similar to what you describe without the cockpit curtains.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:09 am

Browndog beat me to the post. I agree to check out the SB21 and Skinny Dip's build. Glossie Back is building it with a lot more raised deck space than you are looking for, but I could even see that design with a steam engine. Here's the link to his latest posts, but the whole thread is an awesome read.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=60738&start=3990
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:07 pm

Skinny Dip is a ridiculously beautiful boat but it’s too narrow to compare with the Duffy boat in the photo.
The Duffy is more of a sprawl out, eat and chill boat.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley

OneWayTraffic
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by OneWayTraffic » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:23 am

HM19 would do fine. Build it with a full sun cover.