Cs25 questions

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Tjacobs713
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Cs25 questions

Post by Tjacobs713 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:34 pm

OK so I have been going over the plans as I get time and got started laying out all the lines on cheap plywood for all the stations, then I noticed that the stations and frames measurements are not the same A and B. Is that due to them not being in the same location when it is a Station vs a frame? Then frames C-D do not show over all width dimensions, are they the same as the stations?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:59 am

It depends on the version: that first frame is a different location for the long deck or short deck. Same in the stern: closed transom or motorwell.
Since you use throw away molds, it is not very important, choose any version you want but it is easier to have the molds in the same place than the frames, you will use them as cutting templates later.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Tjacobs713
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Tjacobs713 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:41 pm

Jacques I’m planning on the short deck and closed transom with a bracket. Should I be laying everything out using the open version dimensions now and not using the stations drawings? I’m sorry I’m a little confused now Travis

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:14 pm

I write about that in the building notes but let's try to explain it differently.
I will try to keep it simple and not mention the different options until the end.
The hull is the same for all boats, whatever the options. Exactly the same hull, the differences will appear later.
The hull is built on jig.
See the excellent pictures of that process on Peter's thread:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16798

The jig is the same for all hulls. The jig is made of molds and stringers. There are no frames involved at this point, just the molds and stringers.
Mold is the name of the plywood or MDF transversal parts. The molds are located at the stations. Stations are imaginery lines through the hull, we use those lines to cut the molds.
The stations dimensions and location are shown on the drawing titled "Stations".
Cut your molds from those dimensions and set them up on the strongbacks (large beams).
Fabricate the stringers, cut notches in your molds and drop the stringers in.
That is your jig.
Fabricate the hull: glass outside, flip, remove molds, glass inside and you have the hull.

In that hull, you will install the frames and the stringers.
(The frames are not the molds.)
From this point, we take in account the different versions because some frames are in a different location depending on the options.
You don't have to think about that now. Keep it simple and stick to the stations drawing.
Disregard my previous remark about using the frame locations of your options. It could lead to mistakes unless you are familiar with the method. You could save a tiny little bit of labor doing that but it not worth the risk. in your case, only two frames are different.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Tjacobs713
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Tjacobs713 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:21 pm

Jacques Thank you! That cleared up a lot of my questions. I think I'm making it more difficult then it needs to be to start. I keep trying to plan the whole boat and then get caught up. I'm going to only look at the stations plans until the hull is done.