1708 mat

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
User avatar
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 26992
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Florida USA
Contact:

Re: 1708 mat

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:02 pm

BTW, that was not a dumb question at all. I spend a lot of time to think of the workability of a lamination schedule compared to cost and strength.


Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 3456
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 am

Re: 1708 mat

Post by fallguy1000 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:29 pm

I find 1708 is not as nice on compound turns.

If given a choice, I would prefer to layup the 3 layers of 12 oz. You would have a full day and would not be able to do it in hot sun.

Layout everything dry and put reference lines on the parts to get the overlaps right.

12 oz biax is probably my favorite glass all around; fyi. I would use a good 3/8" paint roller with a good purdy cover or two. Mix then pour into paint trays. Never dump unmixed into the tray. Roll the hull with 40% of the glas weight in epoxy, then roll the glass off cardboard or pvc 3" tubes onto references. This way the glass is already getting wet before you pour on top and consolidate. Each layer is probably an hour of work give or take; so rolling on a wet layer also will prevent the next layer sticking bad if you need some adjustment.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 881
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:35 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: 1708 mat

Post by piperdown » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:30 am

fallguy1000 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:29 pm
I find 1708 is not as nice on compound turns.

If given a choice, I would prefer to layup the 3 layers of 12 oz. You would have a full day and would not be able to do it in hot sun.

Layout everything dry and put reference lines on the parts to get the overlaps right.

12 oz biax is probably my favorite glass all around; fyi. I would use a good 3/8" paint roller with a good purdy cover or two. Mix then pour into paint trays. Never dump unmixed into the tray. Roll the hull with 40% of the glas weight in epoxy, then roll the glass off cardboard or pvc 3" tubes onto references. This way the glass is already getting wet before you pour on top and consolidate. Each layer is probably an hour of work give or take; so rolling on a wet layer also will prevent the next layer sticking bad if you need some adjustment.
I wish I had known or thought about rolling the glass off of a tube when I was doing my hull bottom. Didn't see a reference to that until 2 weeks after I glassed the bottom. Would have made it easier.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

Tungsten
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:49 am
Location: canada

Re: 1708 mat

Post by Tungsten » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:37 am

What is the cured thickness of the 1708? Assuming a good hand layup.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 3456
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 am

Re: 1708 mat

Post by fallguy1000 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:47 am

Tungsten wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:37 am
What is the cured thickness of the 1708? Assuming a good hand layup.
0.040" is what I use.

35 pieces varies from 0.950 to 1.1" when pressed.

Lots of variables.
Last edited by fallguy1000 on Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Tungsten
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:49 am
Location: canada

Re: 1708 mat

Post by Tungsten » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:57 am

So from my notes 12 0z 45/45 is .022. Hand layup. Say 70 %resin 30 %glass

Tungsten
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:49 am
Location: canada

Re: 1708 mat

Post by Tungsten » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:59 am

64 pieces?? You vac bagged that many?what.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 3456
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 am

Re: 1708 mat

Post by fallguy1000 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:54 pm

Tungsten wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:59 am
64 pieces?? You vac bagged that many?what.
Glass shims. Hand rolled 35 times.

My crew corrected me. Sorry.

1/35 = 0.028 for the pressed version

I still use 0.040 for hand laid 1708 tapes.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

nightcrawler
New Poster
New Poster
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:37 pm
Location: VT

Re: 1708 mat

Post by nightcrawler » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:33 am

Think i'm going to go 3/12's because it's what i know
nightcrawler

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests