DE25 cabin

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Matt Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: DE25 cabin

Post by Matt Gent » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:16 am

Foam. My kid put a good dent in it when he swung a wood dowel at it.

It’s plenty stiff but I wouldn’t be jumping up and down on the roof. If I were to build one I’d do foam but add some hard points for mounting the antenna, light, and rails.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:24 am

Ant wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:41 pm
Matt thank you so much for your response ! I did buy the long cabin version plans and Honestly I fell in love with this boat after reading your post "DE25 Ownership log"and seeing ya'll ( sorry Texas slang) enjoying it..Do you know if the cabin and pilot house on yours was constructed from foam sandwich or 1/4 plywood ? I thought I remember seeing support frames in the pilot house roof and I think that is only used in the plywood option but I was just curious. My constructions plans say the foam is actually stronger but to me it doesn't sound like it but then again I am not a professional boat builder. yet. :lol: Thank you again for taking the time to respond .
I know this was addressed to Matt, but here is the scoop on stiffness of cored laminates.

The thicker they are; the stiffer they are..

Of course, this is a generalization. If you take a 1/4" ply panel and glass both sides; it is pretty rigid.

If you take a 1/2" foam panel and glass both sides; it is more rigid than a 1/4" foam panel by a lot.

Stiffness comes from thickness.

The other thing about foam that is nice is it has some insulating qualities and would be less likely to drip condensation on you. The downside for foam is it will crush when mounting solar panel mounts. So, you can epoxy metal sleeve inserts into it or overbore and fill with thixo or use backer boards, etc. if not; you will crush it.

An alternative would be to build a ply panel with insulating foam glued to ply on both sides, but then you have to deal with the edges a bit depending on the build method.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:11 pm

I was just going to say that. :D

Foam sandwich will be stiffer and stronger.
Foam sandwich is insulating. That point is very important when it comes to a cabin: you don't want condensation everywhere.

The drawbacks are that it must be carefully planned. Where you want handles or hardware, you must insert HD foam or use HD foam backing plates.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com