FS14LS - FS18 - LM18 Decisions

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS14LS - FS18 - LM18 Decisions

Post by Jaysen » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:24 pm

Where in Beaufort will you be fishing? I’m familiar with the area :D

I think a lot of folks over think draft in our area. Unless you are intentionally targeting undersized fish in the marsh up can get to the fish with a 12” draft. I focused on shallow draft to get to one hole that I couldn’t walk to. When I’m fishing for dinner I’m sitting next to 21’ and larger boats in several feet of water.

Now if we were in Florida...

Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Wannabe Fshng
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Wannabe Fshng » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:14 am

Browndog, thanks for the great rundown and recommendations. Makes me glad I’ve started early - maybe I’ll have cause for two projects - poling skiff and a bay-boat style -LoL.

Can’t start the build until we move there, so still plenty of time and your advice on taking some time to experience the area before pulling the trigger on a build is well taken. I’m an experienced fly fisher, but mostly river/stream for trout. . . Salt water and ICW will be a new experience.

Regards,
Kurt

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:09 am

Fuzz wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:15 pm
Very interested in what JM will say. I do not have the LM-18 plans but it looks to me like the FS-17 is as wide or more at the transom. You very well could be correct Capt but I can't help but wonder.

Fuzz you are right about the FS17, 7' wide and the LM18 is 5'4". Just looked at the FS17 study plans first time, nice design and what a boat!

I was thinking of the FS18, 54" wide.

Bob
><((((º>¸.•´¯`•><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.><((((º>

Wannabe Fshng
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Wannabe Fshng » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:54 pm

Jaysen wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:24 pm
Where in Beaufort will you be fishing? I’m familiar with the area :D

I think a lot of folks over think draft in our area. Unless you are intentionally targeting undersized fish in the marsh up can get to the fish with a 12” draft. I focused on shallow draft to get to one hole that I couldn’t walk to. When I’m fishing for dinner I’m sitting next to 21’ and larger boats in several feet of water.

Now if we were in Florida...
Great info and exactly the kind of data I was hoping for to help in my decision making process.

I think the closest boat ramp is going to be the Broad River boat ramp off HWY 170. I’ll be able to dock on Habersham Creek if I want to keep it in the water overnight. So, having not fished that area, I guess primarily the river and tributary creeks and flats from maybe the Port Royal/Paris Island area and upriver from the bridge past Laurel Bay, Goat Island, Ball Island, etc until I figure out where the best areas are.

Kurt

Wannabe Fshng
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Wannabe Fshng » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:08 pm

jacquesmm wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:34 pm
I would also look at the FS17 Low Sheer. The low sheer option is included in the plans. We used the prototype as a flats boats here in Florida but she was a good general purpose skiff.
Thanks Jacques, after reading what Browndog and Jaysen had to say, and taking a good hard look at Joel’s FS17 low sheer build thread, your advice is really starting to look inspired.

A 5-7” draft to get pretty skinny when necessary (as good or better than what the production technical poling skiffs tout), the ability to set it up to pole when the conditions call for it or trolling motor when not, a large casting deck, stable platform, able to hit the bay and deeper water even when the conditions are not optimal, still pretty economical with the ability to run a 25 or 30 hp OB. . . . A lot of flexibility looks to be built into this boat. Clearly it pays to pay attention when the designer speaks.... and the BOM is nearly the same as an LM18

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:20 pm

I fish the end of PI for dinner. I have a house down that way. In the last 6yr I’ve not known anyone that has a true flats boat. The only times I’ve seen a real flats boat is when some “sport fishing” type comes in from out of town. Granted I typically don’t go much inland past 170.

All that said, I’m not really a sport guy. I’m there for groceries. I do fly fish a bit. I do it all the same places i bait fish. If the water is less than 3’ deep. Not as much fun as fishing for bluegill in a pond though.

And that brings me to boats... I’m not a fan of motors. But if I was to think about it, I would NOT want a flats boat. The chop on the broad southeast of 170 and port royal south of Bermuda Bluff demand a V of some kind. All those Carolina Skiffs... you can hear them slamming through chop miles away. I’ve never enjoyed a ride in them.

The two best boats I’ve been in...
Key West 17: can get poundy but only requires a little let up on throttle. Can get you into the thin stuff with a bit of jack plate.

18’ 1964 cheap a$$ aluminum V: simple, takes a damn pounding, skips over sand bars, light enough to pull off the mud with another boat. Goes 10mi out and holds enough beer to not care about the fishing.

Not sure what all that means other than I need friends that have more money!
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Wannabe Fshng
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Wannabe Fshng » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:25 pm

This thread may have played itself out, but it has been very helpful to me and I’m pretty sure Jacques’ suggestion that I look at the FS17 LS as an option - plus some significant time pouring over Joel’s build thread has me leaning heavily (if not fully decided) toward the FS17 LS.

Having said that - would love to hear from folks that have built or spent time on one along with observations on performance, design options, layout recommendations, etc. Joel’s tech build is a great resource and very informative and there are a couple other FS17 LS build threads or discussions I’ve found, but I think that I and other perspective future (and current) FS17 LS builders might benefit from a thread that could house some consolidated FS17 LS focused discussion, owner/builder experiences, and focused Q&A over time without jumping threads - kind of an FS17 LS homepage, if you will .... if I’m missing a thread that already covers that, somebody please point that out. Or, if the old dogs that know this site much better than me think this would be a good thread to start, let me know where it would be best posted, and I’ll start it up if somebody else hasn’t (or doesn’t) beat me to it...

Thx....