transom deadrise

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
smici01
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

transom deadrise

Post by smici01 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:25 am

Hi!
Maybe I'm asking the wrong thing
is it possible to change a finished plan into a transom deadrise? for example, from 12 degrees to 6-8 degrees.
if possible how.
do you have to trim the same for all stiffeners and boat bottom panel edges?
Or is it absolutely impossible?
Thanks, Dennis.

Matt Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: transom deadrise

Post by Matt Gent » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:21 pm

This would be a substantial redesign, and the panel dimensions for stringers, bulkheads, and hull skins would no longer be valid. It would also change the nesting on the raw panel, though generally all the parts would be smaller (assuming chines & sole stay in place).

I'd say its feasible if you want to do it yourself, but based on history Bateau will not offer to do it for you.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:37 am

Not only that you would change the immersed volume of the boat and possibly the centre of lift. Also stability etc.

If looking to change deadrise (I wouldn't) I would only do it at the cutwater, not on the planing surface.

I have several of these plans. There is a lot that goes into them in a deceptively simple package.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:34 am

Why not find a hull designed with the deadrise you are looking for?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:47 am

All the answer above are correct. It would become a completely different hull. What boat are you looking at?

Also consider that deadrise at the transom is only one element. Many of my designs have a fine entry that flattens out but some of those hulls run better than others with more deadrise.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

smici01
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by smici01 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:50 pm

This question was more out of curiosity.
I built a small model boat and did not understand the layout of the lower panel. middle brace 7 degrees, transom deadrise12 degrees. some pictures of models. I have nothing to do with it later. i already have fs14 boat and after holidays i want to start building either fs17 or ob17.

Matt Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:38 pm

Is that just due to the transom leaning back at ~13deg? In flat panel it would have a higher angle to create the effective 7deg measured perpendicular to the surface of the water.

I wouldn't expect any boats from here to have higher deadrise at the transom than midships...most go the other way.