Powerboat Fuel Efficiency

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 3653
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 am

Re: Powerboat Fuel Efficiency

Post by fallguy1000 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:49 am

fpjeepy05 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:30 pm
a friend just sent me this listing... https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa/d/ ... 41647.html
Different, but similar.
Image
That boat isn't a commuter.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

User avatar
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 27108
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Florida USA
Contact:

Re: Powerboat Fuel Efficiency

Post by jacquesmm » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:51 am

fpjeepy05 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:45 pm
If I can't find a set of plans that I can modify, I will likely design it myself and then pay a designer to review for errors.
That's a big job but there is another solution, something I have done for other builders: fora fee, I can calculate the scantlings for an Atkins design. You get the plans from Atkins, I do the calculations.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

fpjeepy05
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:44 pm
Location: Swansboro, NC

Re: Powerboat Fuel Efficiency

Post by fpjeepy05 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:05 pm

fallguy1000 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:49 am
That boat isn't a commuter.
Agreed. But it does get 13mpg

fpjeepy05
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:44 pm
Location: Swansboro, NC

Re: Powerboat Fuel Efficiency

Post by fpjeepy05 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:19 pm

jacquesmm wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:51 am
fpjeepy05 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:45 pm
If I can't find a set of plans that I can modify, I will likely design it myself and then pay a designer to review for errors.
That's a big job but there is another solution, something I have done for other builders: fora fee, I can calculate the scantlings for an Atkins design. You get the plans from Atkins, I do the calculations.
The problem is, there isn't an Atkins design I would like to build. I don't mind paying to get some help, but to make matters more complicated, I am leaning towards constructing from aluminum.

Chuck H
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:43 pm
Location: Mesquite, Tx

Re: Powerboat Fuel Efficiency

Post by Chuck H » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:56 am

Fast Launch 26?

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 3653
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 am

Re: Powerboat Fuel Efficiency

Post by fallguy1000 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:28 am

Sadly all boats are tradeoffs.

There is no luxury in the economy cruiser. This is why the statement of requirements is so essential.

For example, the boat pictured would not be suitable for most commuter boats. The pax would be soaked, and the vessel at risk in 6 footers.

Diesel inboards are often touted as the ideal, but they are expensive and more difficult to build.

The Nina 22 is probably my favorite for a commuter; although the downside is speed. The Nina 22 would put that skiff picture to shame. I don't know the fuel economy, but I would guess 6-8mpg at the right throttle/speed tradeoff.

And the Nina would be ultra-quiet, too. Pax could have a conversation in low tones in a low head cuddy and the helm could probably be managed inside with a remote, but I could be wrong.

Not sure if you could do a hybrid ally and foam build, but ally would be a fast hull and then you would build light for any cabin/seating area.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fpjeepy05
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:44 pm
Location: Swansboro, NC

Re: Powerboat Fuel Efficiency

Post by fpjeepy05 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:28 pm

Chuck H wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:56 am
Fast Launch 26?
I like the fast launch 26. I was hoping to get similar numbers speed wise with a 30x5’ it sounds very possible if the fast launch can do it with 26x8’ I would like to have a smaller flat on the bottom with some deadrise to accompany it. Additionally I would like to have a walkthrough-cabin with an open bow instead of an express style. This will likely be difficult with the narrower beam. Likely necessitating the engine below the sole. Which will be tough.

fpjeepy05
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:44 pm
Location: Swansboro, NC

Re: Powerboat Fuel Efficiency

Post by fpjeepy05 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:46 am

fallguy1000 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:28 am
Sadly all boats are tradeoffs.

There is no luxury in the economy cruiser. This is why the statement of requirements is so essential.

For example, the boat pictured would not be suitable for most commuter boats. The pax would be soaked, and the vessel at risk in 6 footers.

Diesel inboards are often touted as the ideal, but they are expensive and more difficult to build.

The Nina 22 is probably my favorite for a commuter; although the downside is speed. The Nina 22 would put that skiff picture to shame. I don't know the fuel economy, but I would guess 6-8mpg at the right throttle/speed tradeoff.

And the Nina would be ultra-quiet, too. Pax could have a conversation in low tones in a low head cuddy and the helm could probably be managed inside with a remote, but I could be wrong.

Not sure if you could do a hybrid ally and foam build, but ally would be a fast hull and then you would build light for any cabin/seating area.
I am looking at commuter boats because those are the only ones with the fuel economy I am looking for, but I actually plan to use it for fishing.

I agree diesels make the design more difficult, but I think they lend themselves better to getting the proper weight distribution for semi-displacement boats. (LCG further forward.) Also generally they have better fishability do to the open cockpit.

Also I'm thinking longer and narrow than Nina.

User avatar
BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 983
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:20 am
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Contact:

Re: Powerboat Fuel Efficiency

Post by BB Sig » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:53 am

You asked a similar question on another forum but worded it different here. This cannot be an offshore fishing boat! :help:

Most on the other forum tried to dissuade you and you would not listen. Please don't take the same approach here. :roll:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests