Personal Watercraft design

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:19 pm

Hard not to hate on the PWC driving folks some days. But I once spent part of an otherwise very pleasant afternoon throwing a Suick at a kid on a PWC. He just didn't understand that you need to give fishermen 100' of space (by law in Wisc) and that the back bays of the river are not the best place to rocket back and forth.

Alas, he was pretty fast, never hooked up with that one. It would have been a mighty fight, I'm sure.

Fred in Wisc

Toni V
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Toni V » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:18 am

I guess it's not about the PWC's - it's about how they are used.

Most of the boating is done for fun. There are some professional fishermen but most fish just for fun. So if bigger boats are run just for pleasure, why not PWC's?

o-show
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by o-show » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:55 am

Suick! I'm sure most on this board don't know what that is. Brings back memories to me. Who cares about the pwc you got any picture of the muskie? Anyway, I'm at the boat ramp about 3 years ago, I just launched my 17'alumacraft for a day of goofing around and a brand new Tahoe with 2 brand new -never bean used- Seadoos on the trailer pulls up. The nimrod takes off the tie downs and backs toward the the water. After stoping and pulling forward to strightening out a couple times he finally gets close to the water, he starts "jack-knifing" and hits his brakes HARD. both pwcs slide off the bunks and land on the concrete about 15 feet from the water. Man o man I laughed....Almost as funny as that video on u-tube where the guy (with the Tenessee baseball hat and the bass fishing show) launches his boat and tries cruising around the lake with the trailer still firmly strapped under the boat. "Dang, this boat has no power!, what's going on?".

Laszlo
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Laszlo » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:31 am

Toni V wrote:I guess it's not about the PWC's - it's about how they are used.

Most of the boating is done for fun. There are some professional fishermen but most fish just for fun. So if bigger boats are run just for pleasure, why not PWC's?
Along with the pleasure for the PWC operator, one should consider the pain for everyone else - the noise, the wakes, the safety problems caused by large fast objects moving across the water with no brakes, the beach erosion, the destruction of delicate wetlands and sea grasses which are nurseries for the fish and feeding grounds for the birds, the exhaust polluting the atmosphere with carbon, the hydrocarbons polluting the water supply and poisoning the fish and birds and people and the consumption of petroleum which causes large countries to wage stupid useless wars and trample on people's civil rights. That's why not PWCs.

Laszlo

Jerry-rigged
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jerry-rigged » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:56 am

I think most of what Laszlo said can be said about any boat with a stupid person at the helm...

However, PWC's seem to bring out the Stupid in otherwise level headed folks :P

With most classes of boats, there are a dozen good drivers for every nut-case. With PWC's, those #'s seem to be reversed...

Jerry
Fishing from a paddle boat...

Daddy
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Daddy » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:58 am

Go Laszlo!
I suppose the only flaw in your argument is that all motorized boats pollute, but maybe not as much as the PWC. Water gnats! But I guess I'm just getting old.
Daddy

AdamG
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AdamG » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:42 pm

PWC = motorcycle of the sea. Fun to ride, but near useless for anything practical except to get your body from point a to point B..except a PWC has TERRIBLE gas mileage to boot.

They are fun, but it gets old.

A funny thing I saw once when launching my skiff at the Texas City Dike:
Couple appear to be launching one of those big ski-do side by side type PWC/mini-boat things...they have it backed down at the double ramp..I just lauched my boat and went to park the truck and trailer, while my bro in law holds the boat at the dock by the ramp.. The woman is in the water craft, and the guy by the back of the SUV..he opens the back hatch because the trailer is very short, and he can't see behind him very well apparently...right as we is going to unhitch the boat, this giant 3 foot tall surge of water comes in...washes up to the ramps and up into the back of his SUV...up past the back seat! And then it happens twice more! A loaded tanker had come up the ship channel in the bay a few minutes before, and that was the bow wave coming across the bay....my brother in law managed to hold my little OB15 from getting washed up on the ramp, but the poor lady in the seadoo gust got lifted up from behind and tossed forward because the front of the skidoo was still winched to the trailer...the poor guy got soaked...

I felt bad for them becasue they were obvious rookies, and appeared to be either recent immigrants or visiting foreigners to boot. I would have warned them, but I wasn't thinking about it myself....
Adam G
GF-12 May 2004
OB-15 July 2006

ross61
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ross61 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:22 pm

Boy you guys are tough on the newbies.

This is my first summer owning a boat other than my FL14 (very easy to launch/retrieve).
Normally, my wife drives our 19 footer on the trailer while retrieving as she absolutely refuses to drive the truck with a trailer attached. This has worked very well for us all summer and is normally smooth and stress free unlike many other couples I have seen.

One Saturday, she had to work and my neighbhors wanted to go out on the boat. We launched on Lake Michigan, spent all day on the water and came back to a fairly crowded boat ramp. My neighbhor had no boating experience, so he backed the trailer down the ramp. I drove the boat onto the trailer. I wanted to get it on a little further than normal so that I could get off without the boat sliding back into the water (roller trailer). I gave it a little too much gas, and had the steering turned and all of a sudden I was high on the trailer 45 degrees off of my intended course.
Of course this attracted a large crowd, but I was lucky that the outdrive did not hit anything and no damage was done. My neighbhor and his wife were able to push me and the boat back in the water. I told him to back the trailer in further and we would just winch the boat on. This also did not go as planned and after several tries w/o getting the boat straight, I pulled the trailer back up the ramp some and we winched the boat all the way on which took at least 10 minutes because the handle broke in the process. This was all rather embarrasing at the crowded ramp and I did my best to ingnore the conflicting advice of many onlookers.

I now have a newfound respect for my wife's abilities.

It goes without saying that I have not informed her of this - maybe next year.

Ross

Daddy

Post by Daddy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:32 pm

Ross, after forgetting to change the ball on my trailer (two boats, two balls) and having the winch come through the back window of the jeep on the way home, my wife vowed never to ride in the jeep with the trailer ever again. I am just thankful that the broken window was the worst and nobody got hurt. She relented but I will never get away without proving to her that the 2" ball is nicely mated with the 2" hitch. Actually a nice safty feature, that nervoius wife!
Daddy

ross61
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ross61 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:32 pm

Daddy,

Glad no one was hurt. It's amazing all the things that can go wrong, even when we think we know what we are doing.

I also have two boats with two different size balls (man, that just doesn't sound right LOL). I am lucky the trailers are different heights so I have to use two different drawbars.

Take it easy out there everyone - be safe !!

Ross