Tender

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
anonymous

Tender

Post by anonymous » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:31 am

I want to build a tender that will get me out to my cruiser.
The water is protected, I will not be towing it over 10 knots or in rough water.
I want maximum capacity, and stability, not speed, so that I can reduce the number of trips required to get everybody on board.
Any ideas, please,
Cheers
Alan

Deedaddy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Deedaddy » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:07 am

How many people per trip?

MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MadRus » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:28 am

How big is the cruiser?

Are the GV10/GV11/GV13 out of the question? As designed, the GV13 has lots of passenger room. Are you looking for motor power or oar?

Charlie
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Charlie » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:04 am

How much you can tow is dependent by how big a boat you have. If you try to tow too much weight the dinghy will effect your aility to manuever.
As a general rule you get the most capacity for a given length from a square ended pram.
Most small displacement dinghies have a hull speed of 5mph or less. How one would react if being towed at over 10 mph is a mystery to me.
If you have a 6' x 4' section of deckspace to store one of Evan Gatehouse's nesting dinghies you would have an 11' boat at your disposal without the hassles of towing.
Last edited by Charlie on Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:27 am

The FB11 can only hold 2 adults and maybe a kid or 2. I've had 3 adults in it, but you REALLY had to know what you were doing. And it's not that suited for towing at 10 knots. It won't plane very well.

How big is your boat and where are you located and where will you be towing the tender? The more information the better.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

anonymous

Post by anonymous » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:59 pm

O.K. I need to get 4 adults plus gear on board a 28ft cruiser that plods along at 7knots. Flat out it can nudge 10knots
The waters are protected, No great distance of open water.
The biggest wave would be from a passing boat.
I use an outboard, no rowing, unless essential.
Hope thats enough info.
Cheers
Alan

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:10 pm

The FS14 would be a very good choice. It's pointed bow would keep it in your wake and it can handle 4 and gear on short trips.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:06 pm

Will you leave the tender at the mooring bouy or tow it behind you?
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:14 pm

Cracker Larry wrote:Will you leave the tender at the mooring bouy or tow it behind you?
... and, when you are not out sailing, where will you store the tender? If you're able to tow to the mooring area, you could build a nice *launch* and do it in one trip with a nice boat smiling from the mooring while you're out sailing. 8O 8)

If you store the tender inverrted on the beach, then obviously it must be a size and weight easily handled by the least number of people who might go for a sail, just to get the tender launched and properly beached.

Where is she stored when you're not on the sailboat? :)

gk108

Post by gk108 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:29 pm

Anonymous wrote:O.K. I need to get 4 adults plus gear on board a 28ft cruiser that plods along at 7knots. Flat out it can nudge 10knots
The waters are protected, No great distance of open water.
The biggest wave would be from a passing boat.
I use an outboard, no rowing, unless essential.
Hope thats enough info.
Cheers
Alan
The GV10 would be my first choice just because of the weight requirement. A V10 would be the next choice. A PK78 might do the job, but it would be a little crowded with 4 passengers.
CC, D15, V10