boat performance in tampa bay area

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Lung Boy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

boat performance in tampa bay area

Post by Lung Boy » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:48 pm

I am interested in building one of the bateau boats and was wondering if anyone would like to comment on the pros and cons of their boat's performance in the tampa bay area. Some of the boats that caught my eye are (in no particular order): OD18, PH18, PH22, PG22.

I think I would try to build one of the smaller easy to build boats first to get my feet wet.

This might be a stupid question but here it goes. With the popularity of the old 22' Aquasport flatback and similar styles in the tampa bay area, i was wondering why I didn't see that style hull among the available designs? I noticed that Shine is rebuilding an old Aquasport. It seems like it would be less or equal work to build a wood composite hull from scratch rather than prep an old fiberglass hull for rebuild. And I think I would rather have the wood composite hull.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:42 pm

Our boats have a similar hull shape to the flatback,....warped bottom

If you wait a month or so, I might have GREAT deal on a flatback Aquasport for you :wink:

JASmine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JASmine » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:05 pm

Lung
I specifically built my P20 for Tampa Bay and the surrounding intercoastal areas. I wanted a small boat that I could easily trailer and load/unload by myself, a shallow draft for flats fishing, plenty of room for 2 fishermen, AND the ability to cross Tampa Bay in rough weather (for summer Tarpon fishing). My P20 drafts 6-8" inches loaded, runs at 30mph with a Yamaha FS60 and gets 8+ mpg, and handles the slop of the Bay. It is narrow and so you have to be careful in a heavy sea and avoid getting abeam the waves. The sharp entry does just fine cutting through heavy head seas.
I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

Bayport_Bob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bayport_Bob » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:40 pm

Personally, I would look into what production boat I would buy and then pick the bateau plan that came close to that boat. What you'll gain with the bateau design is it will be lighter & stronger as well as require less horsepower to get the same or better performance. Interior features that emulate those of a production boat can usually be added by the builder depending on their skill level. That's what I did when I was in the planning stages anyway.

Just my opinion & everbody's got one. - Bob

JimW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JimW » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:16 am

I grew up boating in that area. The waves there have a shorter period than the atlantic and pacific. When the gulf gets rough, anybody in a small boat HAS to slow down. The hull shape will determine if you slog in at 12 mph or 17 mph. It's pure hell in a flat bottom. My spine has suffered many offshore trips in a 16 foot whaler there. The old Wellcraft "V20" hull was a nice soft one for rough days there, but it rolled wildly at rest. It had such a nice bow flair we'd have wave spray battles as we ran offshore. The V20 could soak a boat running next to it, but the ride was soft.

For occasional gulf use I'd suggest the OB19, or the OB17 or FS17. I bet if you built the FS17 for your first boat you could get great use out of it in that area without too many limits. Anmything smaller for your first boat might be limiting your capabilities in those big waters. You want to be able to run around to different areas in Tampa Bay I think.
Jim Wright
CC, D15, SC16, C19

Lung Boy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lung Boy » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:23 am

Jim, Bob, Jasmine, Shine,

Thank you for your comments. As for a production boat, I am partial to the old aquasport or a 18' pathfinder.

My list has now expanded: FS17, PH18, OB19, PH22, PG22. I don't think I could go wrong with any of these. Now all I need to do is pick one.

dborecky
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dborecky » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:35 am

I think this one is the most like the old Florida boats so far from this site..
Abaco 23 The plans should be coming out soon...

Lung Boy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lung Boy » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:46 pm

The FS17 is growing on me. It seems like it would be just big enough to handle Tampa Bay.

gunner
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gunner » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:07 pm

Look at the builds with the raised sideson the several threads of fs17 builders.

Lung Boy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lung Boy » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:38 pm

First step is done. I ordered the plans for the FS17. Thanks for your input. I'll start another thread for documenting progress and asking for help.