Extreme Flats 20

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
stickystuff
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by stickystuff » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:05 pm

I grew up in West Palm Beach. I lived 12 blocks from Rybovich Boat works. At a younger age I knew nothing about building boats. I did spend many days fishing from Rybovich docks and all up and down the seawalls around them. I do remember that all their boats were made out of wood. Very classy and beautiful boats. Rybovich was and still is top of the line and is known all over the world. Spencer boats were next door to Rybo. and I grew up with Jeff Spencer. Haven't seen him in years since I married and moved away. Now the Co. name is Spencer/Rybovich or vice/versa.Quality is what quality does. Built to last. My PH 16 is now 8 yrs. old and am now putting the first paint job on it since it was built. Absolutely no If you seal it right it will last you for many years.rot signs anywhere.

Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

Steven

Re: Extreme Flats 20

Post by Steven » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:35 pm

msimek wrote:Thinking about building the Extreme Flats 20. I was looking into buying a new MicroDraft 20 "Henderson Skiff" but don't want to shell out that much cash right now. The new ones he is building are totally composite and cost 29K.

The one thing I am concerned about is the wood in the boat. I am talking to many people and they are all saying that no matter what I do or how I build that boat, I will get rot. They are saying that the plywood will have moisture in it and when it is sandwiched in the fiberglass, the moisture will seep out of the plywood and eventually rot inside. This kinda makes sense to me.

All that being said I have never built a boat and neither have they. I looked all through the previouse posts and couldn't find anything resembling this question, so sorry to bother you with this.

I was wondering if there are plans for the Extreme Flats 20 that tell you how to build it with foam. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Thanks for the help, and I think you guys do a great job with this Message Board, Very Impressed

Most only have experience with Polyester based fiberglass boats. Think any mass produced boat you are familiar with. Polyester based boats are not truly waterproof. That is why gel coats blister. That is also why blister repairs are always fixed with an epoxy coating. It is waterproof. No water. No rot. Build the FX 20, save a ton of money and outfit it to your dreams desires. Just coat everything properly. If you need to drill into wood, drill the hole oversize, fill with epoxy putty and then redrill into the putty. No wood ever need to be exposed to water.

msimek
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by msimek » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:58 am

I just ordered the plans, I can't wait to get started. I going to have alot of satisfaction builiding this I am sure. I am sure with all of you guys backing me I will have an amazing boat that will last forever.

When you are done with this boat does it look as smooth as a gelcoated boat?
Mike
I like fishin like I like my women SKINNY!!!!!

msimek
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by msimek » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:02 am

stickystuff wrote:Mike. Give me a call. I live in Dunnellon. I can give you all the info you need. 489-7914

That is great that you live so close, I am doing alot of fishing in Yankeetown and want to soon learn Ozello. I will be calling you I am soon. Just make sure you tell me if I am being a pain in your butt.
Thanks
Mike

msimek
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Extreme Flats 20

Post by msimek » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:14 am

If you need to drill into wood, drill the hole oversize, fill with epoxy putty and then redrill into the putty. No wood ever need to be exposed to water.[/quote]

Thanks for that tip!!! I was wondering what to do in that case.

I actually called up the Airboat Pro's on Hwy 44 near Lake Panosofkee (or however you spell it) and asked them how they put those protective bottoms on the air boats, I guess they screw em in with like 300+ screws.
I was thinking that would be a cool bottom on this boat to protect it from rocks.
I might be overthinking this though and I am sure it would cause more problems than its worth.

I also wanted to build in slight depression for a "legal stick" into the bottom of the boat so I don't trip over it like I do on my current boat. I am sure I can do this during the building process pretty easily. Again, I am relying on you guys to tell me I am thinking to much and I am just going to cause problems down the road if that is the case. (don't feel like you can't pat me on the back either :D :D )

Anyway I could type forever right now I just finished my 3rd cup of coffee.
I will let you guys go.
Mike

timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:02 am

Mike,

People have asked about the poly coating before and the response is don't use it. Instead put on an extra layer of fiberglass and then graphite/epoxy coat the bottom. Do a search.

Tim

msimek
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by msimek » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:22 pm

timoub007 wrote:Mike,

People have asked about the poly coating before and the response is don't use it. Instead put on an extra layer of fiberglass and then graphite/epoxy coat the bottom. Do a search.

Tim
Thanks Tim , Will check that out.
Mike

Lung Boy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lung Boy » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:55 pm

There a few things that fungi needs to rot wood. The main ones are moisture, oxygen and a suitable temperature. Eliminate any of the three and it is impossible for rot to occur. Wood encapsulated in a quality marine epoxy is waterproof and airproof. Rot can not occur. Anyone that tells you different has been brainwashed by the marketers of production fiberglass boats. We've all heard the slogan, "no wood, no rot". I now laugh to myself when I hear it.

stickystuff

Post by stickystuff » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:03 pm

Mike, I have templates for XF 20. Welcome to borrow them
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

msimek
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by msimek » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:13 pm

stickystuff wrote:Mike, I have templates for XF 20. Welcome to borrow them
I have to give you a call, when is a good time? I don't want to bother you on a Sunday.

I see that you know Ozello pretty well. I am trying to get Yankeetown figured out then get over to Ozello
I fished there just a bit the other day but was a falling tide and my boat takes about 10" draft