Extreme Flats 20

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
msimek
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by msimek » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:21 pm

Ken!! StickyStuff!! Holy Crap!!! I just looked at the boat you built with the Nida Core and all the changes !!!! That is the exact boat I want to build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have no friggin idea how fired up I was when I saw that and then I saw that it was you!! Holy Crap!!!
We need to chat
Mike

I like fishin like I like my women SKINNY!!!!!

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:29 pm

If you want to look at a XF-20 that is being built send me an email and I will show you mine. I am not scrimping on material and I know this boat is better than MD-20 at HALF the price....Richard
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Lung Boy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lung Boy » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:13 am

I apologize for my previous post. Brainwashed is a bit much. I must have been listening to too much of the presidental primaries. What I meant to write was that anyone that tells you wood always rots might have that catch phrase, "no wood, no rot", stuck in their head like a bad song.

Chris Sopotnick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chris Sopotnick » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:00 am

Just like the Alan Jackson song states "there's nothin like the way an ol' wood boat rides".

I built my xf 20 last year and was concerned about teeth bustin - kidney beaten rides similar to Carolina skiffs I'd been on. I built mine heavy and it is solid as a rock and rides better than my "no wood" production 22' center console (Prosport).

I echo the comments of Shine and others with respect to custom fishing boat production. My office is in Stuart in the same industrial park as Whiticar, Malle, Gamefisher, Jim Smith, Willis, etc... I took a tour of a Willis 70' and other than the upgrades the hull is built the same as ours. I talked to the builders about the use of nida core and other lightweight materials and they stated that they use them when they can to reduce weight, but never on the hull. For buoyancy and a solid ride wood is the key.

Good luck - you'll have fun and you'll definitely be pleased with the functionality of the XF 20.
spot

msimek
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by msimek » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:00 pm

I want to thank all you guys for the posts! I really appreciate you taking your time to write. I am so fired up to get this going it isn't even funny, I am very excited but also a bit nervouse so I am sure I will have many questions.
I know I am going to put a jack plate on it and that I want to have a steering wheel and controls, also would like most of the deck to be fishable. I am sure I will end up using NidaCore for the decking and the Okume (or however you spell it) for the rest.
I can't wait to prove to the guys that this boat will be better than anything they have fished in.
Thanks again
Mike
I like fishin like I like my women SKINNY!!!!!