Bottom Butt Plate

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
anonymous

Bottom Butt Plate

Post by anonymous » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:48 pm

Hello All,

I just received my plans for the FL 14. I understand all the dimensions, etc. Just two questions:

1. Most of the pictures of completed FL 14's don't show the bottom butt plate exposed. I assume it is hidden under the middle seat. However, the plans look to show it exposed on the bottom in front of the middle seat. Does it require a modification to the plans to hide the butt plate or am I seeing the plans wrong?

2. Some of the finished pictures show the front seat with two frames instead of the one shown in the plans. Can I modify the front seat to be done with two frames so I can create storage under the seat? If so, does anyone have the width and height dimensions for the two frames?

Thanks.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bottom Butt Plate

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:01 pm

sheiksteve wrote:Hello All,

I just received my plans for the FL 14. I understand all the dimensions, etc. Just two questions:

1. Most of the pictures of completed FL 14's don't show the bottom butt plate exposed. I assume it is hidden under the middle seat. However, the plans look to show it exposed on the bottom in front of the middle seat. Does it require a modification to the plans to hide the butt plate or am I seeing the plans wrong?
No modification, that butt block is under the forward seat frame.

2. Some of the finished pictures show the front seat with two frames instead of the one shown in the plans. Can I modify the front seat to be done with two frames so I can create storage under the seat? If so, does anyone have the width and height dimensions for the two frames?

Thanks.
Some builders modify our plans. There may be a reason to add a frame there but I don't know that reason. It is not necessary.
Build as designed and you will not have any problems.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:48 pm

If you want storage under there, build the boat as designed first, and before starting any fairing work, add the storage details (you don't want any structural components bonded to fairing compound). You want the bottom and side panels to bend fairly and properly during assembly, and the plans are designed to maximize the probability of this happening with the least effort. If you add frames during the stitching up, it may not bend into shape as fairly as you thought when drawing up an additional frame. Build to spec first, and add your storage mod after the panels are glassed together and permanently shaped. Maybe even get the rubrails on also before making internal storage details. The rubrail greatly stiffens the sheer of the hull and helps establish its permanent shape. Then, a storage compartment mod is just like adding cabinetry to a hull that is already shaped and solid. Well, sort of...

In fact, get the hull glassed together, post a picture of what you would like to do under that seat, as storage or cabinetry, and then see what sort of responses you get. What you mainly do not want to do is make major structural changes that might move loads around differently or actually change the hull form presented to the water.

Enjoy and welcome to the disease!

:)

ross61
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ross61 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:10 pm

I made this modification. Extra frame to enclose under the forward seat. I actually made two new frames, one in front of the original and one behind it. Wasn't difficult at all, if I recall I made cardboard templates.

The bottom butt block is partially under the aft frame and extends into the exposed floor area.

I will take some pics of this as soon as the snow melts of off it :D .

Great boat.

Have Fun,

Ross