Custom design???

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
anonymous

Custom design???

Post by anonymous » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:29 pm

Hi Jacques and all the others here around

I'm new to this forum, although I was watching it for the last couple of weeks closely. I registered last night but my account is now yet activated.

I'm from Nova Scotia/Canada and I'm currently looking for my next to be built boat, a 34' to 38' feet displacement trawler. I know that for a couple of month now a new 34' trawler is in the works but as usual I have some ideas in mind which I really would like to incorporate. So my question is are you also doing custom design work?

Thanks,
Jochen

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:37 pm

No custom design work, sorry but you are welcome to post your requirements.
The Trawler 34 is the next project. Most of the modeling work is done but I can always draw options.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

TW28RJ
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TW28RJ » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:49 pm

Jochen,

I had originally wanted a larger displacement trawler, but after studying the TW28 for a while I found that it had everything I needed in a slightly smaller package.

Spend some time with study plans..

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:13 pm

Generally you have a pretty wide latitude on what you can do as long as you do not change any of the structuaral members.

As Jacque says now is the time to get your ideas up hear so he can incorporate them into the options if they are workable. He is pretty easy to work with. :D

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

anonymous

Post by anonymous » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:35 pm

Jacques, Tom and TW28RJ many thanks for your replies!

I would appreciate an easily driven displacement hull, hp around 60 to 80.

A real steadying rig which should also be able to fly a jib.

Usable aft cockpit area covered by extended cabin roof.

Walk around side decks, that's a must for a seagoing vessel. At least for me and the main reason why I won't consider the TW28!

A fly bridge is not a must have criteria. Again at least for me.

Most of that can be found in Sam Devlin's Kokanee 38 design. But I would omit the aft cabin. Maybe, maybe not. It could be a nice storage area.

But I find Jacques hull building method more appealing then Devlin's interpretation of Stitch and Glue. Although I'm a little bit concerned if a 12mm plywood core would be strong enough for a trawler of that size. But I'm quite sure that Jacques will take care of that.

Unfortunately my registration (Userid zumsel) is still pending so I can't post a picture or a link for that particular design.

Jochen

PaulMcClure
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PaulMcClure » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:05 am

Jochen,

12mm is fine - it's encapsulated in a glass/epoxy composite which gives it a great deal of strength. Devlin's designs differ because (as Jacques will tell you) he designs wooden boats which are built using epoxy. Jacques designs composite boats with a plywood core. So where Devlin's designs tend to use a lot of cold molded ply to build up a specific hull thickness, Jacques designs use the plywood core to form the hull shape and then determines the eventual hull strength and thickness during the lamination schedule.

Devlin does make very pretty boats though. I just took a look at the Kokanee 28 and in profile it is very similar to the TW28. I'm waiting to see the TW34 plans (or even a rendering) as I'm very interested in a boat around that size.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:41 am

Anonymous wrote:JI'm a little bit concerned if a 12mm plywood core would be strong enough for a trawler of that size.
Why do you say that? Compared to what?
To a foam sandwich structure, a single skin fiberglass?

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:32 am

Walk around side decks, that's a must for a seagoing vessel. At least for me and the main reason why I won't consider the TW28!
Doesn't the TW 28 have walk around side decks, or am I mistaken? I agree it is a necessity for a cruising boat.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

anonymous

Post by anonymous » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:20 pm

jacquesmm wrote:
Anonymous wrote:JI'm a little bit concerned if a 12mm plywood core would be strong enough for a trawler of that size.
Why do you say that? Compared to what?
To a foam sandwich structure, a single skin fiberglass?
Jacques, My intention with that statement was not to insult you or discredit your work!!!

My own experience building boats is very limited. I only built a 45' Roger Simpson designed strip planking catamaran years ago, helped my father building his 42' plywood Wharram catamaran and did some restoration work on some heavily wood planked north sea trawlers. So I'm not very familiar with epoxy composite building techniques at all. As a marine engineer I have worked for years on seagoing cargo ships and offshore supply vessels. I know that you can't compare their scantlings to anything we want to built as an amateur. LOL

But as I said already in my previous post: I'm sure that you (Jacques) will take care of that.

English is not my native language. I immigrated some years ago from Germany to Canada. So I hope that I can make my point clear without sounding to harsh or stupid.

Jochen

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:36 am

I don't feel insulted :P , I want to address your concern and if necessary show that our boats are strong.
Compared to other designs like the ones from Devlin or Arch Davis, our boats use much tinner plywood but much more fiberglass.
It's a choice, they get the strength from plywood, we get it from a fiberglass sandwich.
The same applies to the boats you mention: those are wooden boats with some fiberglass protection, ours are fiberglass boats with a plywood core.
You can't compare the two materials by just looking at the plywood.