TW 28 Engine Bay Dimesions

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
icelikkilinc
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

TW 28 Engine Bay Dimesions

Post by icelikkilinc » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:23 am

Hello

My name is Ilker and I am from Turkey and with my uncle we are currently planning to build 2 TW 28. We currently own a 22' lady but she is a bit small for our needs as we can only use her for day fishin purposes. TW28 is on another dimension compared to her

We are at the feasibility phase of the project and working with estimates. We currently have the pricing for the workshop that we are planning to rent for this project, plywood, epoxy fiberglass. Engine is the real question that we need to solve. We have different range of engines that are common here in Turkey compared to what you have designed her in the first place. They will be smilar of course but will definetely have differences. I do not think weight will be a big factor (As Jacques already stated, I have read a lot in the forum about it)

My question is: What is the biggest possible engine in metric dimensions that we are able to fit the boat and than be able to work on the engine easily if needed? We have been looking at engines and as an example on the last 2 I have checked (both were at ca 60 hp range) one had height of 65 cm and the other 85.

I don't want to make my feasiblity on smtg that I won't be able to use, therefore I had to ask this question.

Thanks in advance
Ilker

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:59 am

It all depends on the output shaft and angle, not the total height of the engine.
Most 4 cylinders are based on Kubota or Mitsubishi blocks even if they have other names and those ones fit.
You can't fit an old Lister or a 2-71 GM but you can use 99% of modern engines.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

icelikkilinc

Post by icelikkilinc » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:16 am

Thanks Jacques very very prompt answer.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:28 am

If you want to know more, post the name and type of engine or a link to their specifications.
The engine we specify for the TW28 is listed here:
http://boatbuildercentral.com/diesel/4.220.php#dim
Compare with what you have and don't worry about small differences.

icelikkilinc

Post by icelikkilinc » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:01 pm

Thanks Jacques for the example Nanni. The engines in my mind have couple of cms differences +- so it won't be an issue as you suggested but as in the project you gotta make sure.

Glad to say that the first step is the most important one on the long journey and a minute ago I pressed the button to finalise the purchase order.

Now the waiting begins :D

icelikkilinc

Post by icelikkilinc » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:26 pm

Hi Jacques & Joel

I placed the order on 21.10, ID 5525.

I actually sent a mail asking this but since I haven't got reply I just wanted to ask it here as well.

You can reply on the mail or here. How do I track the status of the parcel? Need that info since trying to make sure the plans does not get stuck at here local customs.

Thanks for your understanding

Ilker

anonymous

Post by anonymous » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:28 pm

Now the waiting begins
You mean
Now the sanding begins

icelikkilinc

Post by icelikkilinc » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:34 pm

Well I think I am lot away from even thinking of sanding :lol:

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:35 pm

The plans were shipped by airmail the same day you ordered. Our order desk can give you a US Postal Service shipping number but it doesn't help much, the only tracking you will see is " package shipped".
Once it arrives in Turkey, it has to go through customs. That sometimes goes fast and sometimes takes 2 weeks. We have no control over the local customs office.

BTW, you should have received an automated email stating that the plans were shipped, check your spam filter.

icelikkilinc

Post by icelikkilinc » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:51 pm

Thanks Jacques.
I received a mail for confirmation of address and I noticed I missed a character so I sent the correction email. After that I have not received the note and your mails are already in my safe mailing list.

That is the reason I asked, just trying to make sure if the correction was in place and order was out.