Jacques - Need advice - what sail boat for beginner ?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Re: Jacques - Need advice - what sail boat for beginner ?

Post by ks8 » Sat May 29, 2010 11:15 pm

CK17 or CV16 will give you more buoyancy than the SH14.

First sail in the CV16 (pardon the jib sheet rigging... :oops: )...

three adults and a tweener... (I'm at the helm with the camera)...

motoring out... waterline is just barely under water with this load...

very stable... but rolls ever so slightly because of v bottom. very very reasonable. :)

The CK17 may be even more stable with its flat bottom. Probably a simpler build than the CV16 also. Both fine boats. :)

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 » Sat May 29, 2010 11:44 pm

is there a major difference in building the Sharpie 14 with a boom and triangular sail, rather then the one it shows in the study plan ?
I had no problems changing to that type of sail on my V10. I had to do a little studying and already knowing how to sail helped me make some choices.
The more I sail it, the more I like the leg o' mutton sail rig.
I agree with George about the kids growing. Also consider that the CK17 is perfect for a captain with a crew of 2. One on the helm and one on each of the sails. Once you explain to the crew that each of them will have one sheet and one snotter to handle, they'll probably become curious and find all kinds of reasons to talk about snotters. :)
As for sailing experience ... I went swimming once, does that count ?
Yep. Now, can you fly a kite better than Charlie Brown? If so, then you are already familiar with most of the principles of sailing. :wink:
CC, D15, V10

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:57 am

Not the Sharpie 14, sorry.
CK17 or CV16.
The CK17 is easier to build, the CV16 is bigger and has a more traditional rig.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:22 pm

And you certainly don't need to add everything I did to a CV16. :lol: With the hull weight more than double the spec, and a heavy 4HP 4 stroke, another 5 gallons gas, cooler with food and drinks for a day for four people, a bunch of other gear including two anchors and a small grapple, and four people, we've still got good freeboard. :) I hadn't put in the two batteries yet (or galley... thanks Craig... that'll be MSR lightweight camping gear, already in the seabag). :lol:

Poker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Poker » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:49 pm

jacquesmm wrote:Not the Sharpie 14, sorry.
CK17 or CV16.
The CK17 is easier to build, the CV16 is bigger and has a more traditional rig.
OK .. so choices are down to 2.

As with anything .. life gets in the way of plans, so I've got to put this on hold for a couple of weeks - hopefully I'll have a decision made by then.

Thanks to all for your helpfulness.

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:37 pm

Hey no one mentioned the SB18. One of the reasons I choose this was because I want to take my 9 and 10 year old kids with me and not have to worry about recovering from a capsize. The self-bailing open transom cockpit is another big plus in terms of safety.

In terms of easy of building, the SB18 is one of Jacques' newer designs and IMHO the improvements they've developed in terms of making their boats easy to build does show.

My 2 cents.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:35 am

I want to take my 9 and 10 year old kids with me and not have to worry about recovering from a capsize.
IMO, unsolicited, it would be better to teach your kids how to handle and recover from a capsize. Don't choose your boat based on that, any small boat can capsize and probably will with a beginner. :wink: More likely in a performance boat, but it's just a matter of time in any small boat. Go ahead and get it out the way early. It's nothing to be scared of. Teach them how to deal with it, or get them some good instruction so it becomes a non-issue to them. Right the boat, bail the boat, continue the race. The best sailing lessons are learned in small boats, best is a sailboard. Learn to get wet if you want to learn to sail. Then when you graduate to big boats you'll feel right at home. They say yacht racing is like standing in a cold shower and tearing up $100 bills :lol: That was before inflation :wink: Now it $1,000 bills 8O

In 1978 we won the winter championships in the Windmill class, at the Miami Yacht Club. We raced 7 races over 3 days in 30+ winds, capsized at least 20 times during the series and pitch poled 3 times on the last leg of the last race. We crossed the finish line in first with the boat completely full of water, a broken boom and the spinnaker still set. The other 50 boats behind us capsized more times than us, but they all finished too 8) No lives lost, we just got wet and had fun :lol: Broke a few masts and booms, it was a hoot.

Teach them right, teach them early. If you're going to learn to water ski, or surf, or sail small boats, you're going to get wet. You can't avoid it, might as well embrace it, or change your sport of choice. Soccer maybe :lol:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Poker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Poker » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:51 am

Cracker Larry wrote:
I want to take my 9 and 10 year old kids with me and not have to worry about recovering from a capsize.
Teach them right, teach them early. If you're going to learn to water ski, or surf, or sail small boats, you're going to get wet. You can't avoid it, might as well embrace it, or change your sport of choice. Soccer maybe :lol:
Mine do play soccer! ... and basketball, and one plays baseball ... and they make me put up that darned 18' pool every summer !!! LOL

Actually .. we discussed that before we did anything else we'd take the boat out just shallow enough and capsize her, and they would learn how to right it ... they were aghast at first ! LOL
I want them to understand that even if the boat does tip over ... with the bouyancy foam, and the way the boat is made, that they have nothing to worry about, and should just right her, bail the water, and carry on ... sort of a confidence thing.

I've decided on the CK17 ... and once we decide whether to move or not, will be ordering supplies, plans, etc soon ... now to see if there is a source for marine plywood in Nth Texas !!!

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:35 am

Great choice and attitude 8) You will do well. There is no better sailing rig than a Cat/Ketch for balance and ease. You might not even flip that one, but don't rule it out completely :lol:
I want them to understand that even if the boat does tip over ... with the bouyancy foam, and the way the boat is made, that they have nothing to worry about, and should just right her, bail the water, and carry on ... sort of a confidence thing.
Exactly, confidence is everything and is easily taught to 10 year old's. In sailing or in life, never be scared to rock the boat, or to flip it. It doesn't matter how many times it pitch poles, it only matters how many times you get back in and carry on. Fear is the danger, not the capsize. A good boat can be righted over and over. Sometimes several times at one go 8O Loosen the mainsheet before you stand on the center board :wink:
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:45 am

now to see if there is a source for marine plywood in Nth Texas !!!
As to that, it's hard to beat the prices here, including shipping, and you can't beat the quality, the warranty, the tech support, or this group of contrary souls :lol: You might find cheaper plywood, but you won't find better, and none of those other vendors will teach you how to turn it into a good safe boat :wink: