GF18 ramblings

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Brettitt41
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

GF18 ramblings

Post by Brettitt41 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:42 pm

OK I am definitely sure that I am undecided on which boat I want. :doh: I was looking at the GF18 and my creative side kicked in for some reason. I'm thinking of a GF18 with a sole, center console and 6"-8" gunwales from the front casting deck to the rear deck. Fitted cooler spot in front of console and rod holders under gunwales. Oh and a poling platform. How well do GF types pole? Would a skeg help in poling and general on plane turning? Would shortening the sheer at the bow flush to the casting deck create any problems or just look funny? Thinking 50hp with flotation kit under sole. Thanks.

" You gotta be tough if you're gonna be stupid" - John Wayne
See my build http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=36846
FL14 "Splashed" GF18 coming soon

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: GF18 ramblings

Post by Cracker Larry » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:59 pm

There is nothing wrong with any of that, with that boat, except I'd leave the sheer alone. It will float skinny and pole just fine. I think the plans call for a pair of runners instead of a skeg, either would work OK and you'll want one or the other. That's another boat that's on my list to build, one day :lol:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:10 pm

That GF18 would be a great boat on West Point lake or even the Chattahooche (non-whitewater part) If I still lived in GA it would be on my short list for sure. It's just a big overgrown johnboat but has so much potential I don't know why it gets overlooked as much as it does.

George

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:14 pm

George, if you ever move back to GA, let's build one and make an airboat out of it. It will be a redfish slaying machine. I've already got the plans. You're in charge of the engine :wink:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:43 pm

Sounds like a winner to me Larry. I've a few engines in mind that would be great on an air boat, light weight, good power.

Of course if money were no object, I always wanted an airboat with a Lycoming O-235 out of a Cessna 152 or a Continental O-200 from a 150. I loved flying that 150, even though the 152 had more power, the 150 just felt better to me. Maybe it was the extra 10 degrees of flaps it offered which made slow flight more fun :D

Who knows, it could happen :D

Edit to add in half a sentence I left out somehow??

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:34 am

Recently finished a GF18. It has the raised sole, center console, and gunnels between the decks. There is not enough room to put two rods under the gunnels so we opted for none. The boat is having the motor and controls mounted next week or the following week by a Tohatsu dealer in Texas. We put two 1.5" strakes directly under the stringers. The first cut was made on the ply for this boat on July 27th and it was loaded on a trailer to go to Texas last Thursday night. I'm not really fast but I had two retired gentlemen help me on the build. They did a lot of work on the boat while I was at work during the week. This was our first build and we think, if we built another just like it, we could do it in half the time. I don't know what a boat guy would call the quality of finish, but everyone that has looked at it has been amazed that it was home built. Jaques says in the study plans that this boat can be built fast by a first timer and that is certainly true. It should be built on a strongback with frames and not assembled right side up like it say you can do in the plans. I think the boat would be much easier to assemble fair on a strongback. My credit card screams everytime I think quickfair!! I hope Cracker Larry is right, this boat was built to be a redfish slayer. :D

Brettitt41
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Brettitt41 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:35 pm

Ahhhh air boats. I grew up next to the everglades, literally, spent many a day riding on one. I even made one recently. I had a powered paraglider I was flying and me and a buddy hooked it up to a john boat and went around the lake a few times. They are fun sliding around. Prarie Dog where are your pics? I wanna see that boat, please. :)
" You gotta be tough if you're gonna be stupid" - John Wayne
See my build http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=36846
FL14 "Splashed" GF18 coming soon

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:43 am

As soon as I figure out how to post pics, I will. My wife will have to help me do this the first four or five times because I am dain bamaged when it comes to computers and digital photos. However, she is an ace at this stuff (probably why I am so backward) and as soon as I can get her to help we'll post pics. My inlaws want to name the boat "popping cork" so you can probably guess the colors.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:01 am

I'll say it does look nice from what I saw :wink:

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:59 pm

Posted pics tonight in builder galleries. Check it out, am interested in comments, both pro and con. Thanks guys for all the help during this build!!! :D