XF20 Performance

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
semperfly
New Poster
New Poster

XF20 Performance

Post by semperfly » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:20 pm

I have done my best to search the FAQ portion and other posts to get my information on the XF20 and its shallow water performance.
forgive me if I ask some repeat questions but if I dont ask, I wont know and I want to be able to build a boat that will serve me for a good while.

For those of you familiar with the Lower Laguna Madre in Texas it is skinny fishing, many times of the year we are wading in 8-12" of water, miles of it, because that is where the fish are and have to be able to get there. I know the XF20 can run skinny, but MOST importantly we have to be able to get out of the skinny water with 4 men, gear and 2 loaded coolers. Lots of boats will run and float skinny but not many can jump out of the hole in water in the 8-12" range. Many of the popular flats boats here (New Water, Majek, Shallow Sport & Dargel to name a few) do this quite well but have 115 to 200 horse engines to get the hole shot.

Here are my questions:

1. With a 90 hp motor can the XF20 get up in 8-12" of water or less with a full load? Anyone tried this?

2. Has anyone built an XF 20 with out the cockpit? Meaning a flush deck like a scooter boat?

3. Has anyone built this hull with out the tunnel and run an outboard jet instead of a prop?

I apologize in advance for what may seem rhetorical or repetitive questions and appreciate any information ya'll care to give.

Thanks

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: XF20 Performance

Post by Aripeka Angler » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:21 pm

Semperfly, welcome to the forum!

I built an XF-20 and will try to answer a couple of your questions. Here is a pic of my boat staked out at Cape Sable Florida.

Answers to questions...

1) Yes! I run a 70 hp motor and the boat will easily plane in 10-12 inches of water with a big load. I really would not put a 90 on this boat though. It is WAY too heavy especially if it is a four stroke! You will lose the advantage of the shallow draft of the hull if you put a really heavy motor on the boat. If I had it to do over again, I would have probably put on a 50 hp 2 stroke. I have pondered and waffled on this a bunch, but I am sure now it is better to stay light. The boat really doesn't jump up on a plane when the motor is jacked, it just takes off flat. With the motor jacked up high in shallow water the prop is slipping so much you are not going to get much advantage with a 90 hp motor...

2) Not that I know of. I have seen 4 XF's with big decks though. My boat, Hunch's, Shallow Spot and Major Gator's build. I would at least put in small cockpit, but that is just me...

3) I think (not positive)the blue boat in the pics section of the Xf-20's has a tunnel. It is the pic of the guy running by a kid standing in ankle deep water. The boat is powered by a Yamaha jet...

Hope this helps :)

Richard
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

brianincc
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by brianincc » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:33 pm

I have also built and run an XF20 and can say it will absolutely get up in less than 12" of water. I had a yamaha 50 2 stroke on mine and I really wanted a 70. I think to run the jet some modifications to the tunnel would need to be made.I kick myself every day for selling mine but, we were in a rough patch and I had to do it. I have a started hull I got some time ago and have been working on it little by little. This boat will have a lowered sheer and be completely decked with a small tower. I don't think you will find a boat that will run skinnier than the xf20. Go ahead and get started you won't regret it.

BilltheCat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by BilltheCat » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:37 pm

The Blue Boat does have a tunnel - and with the jet it skips mud bars. 50HP Yamaha with jet drive, ran fine with four aboard.

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:54 pm

BilltheCat wrote:The Blue Boat does have a tunnel - and with the jet it skips mud bars.
I thought Stickey said it had a tunnel. Red will skip mud bars too but it is pretty ugly to watch :wink:
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12

brianincc
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by brianincc » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:34 pm

The blue boat (Steveinspringhills boat)does have a tunnel but I don't think it was built like the one in the plans.

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:34 pm

Richard, how fast is "Red Alert" with the 70? When you come to POC you'll have to ride in "Little Red" aka "Poppin Cork". :D
Thanks, Paul

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:13 am

Prarie Dog wrote:Richard, how fast is "Red Alert" with the 70? When you come to POC you'll have to ride in "Little Red" aka "Poppin Cork". :D
Thanks, Paul
Paul, she will run about 26-28 mph trimmed and jacked. Conditions have to be perfect to get that speed. At the Cape with a super heavy load of camping gear, I was only able to get 20-22 mph out her. I also got less than 3 mpg with the big load.

Heck yeah, I want to take a ride on Poppin Cork. That is a cool name 8) and a great looking boat!
Richard

stickystuff

Post by stickystuff » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:36 am

Steve in spring Hill built boat to specs. Only thing he modified is the tunnel. About 2" deep. he runs a 50HP yamaha jet. (30 HP with jet foot). You can plainly see how shallow it runs. ankle deep with a jet foot.I have known steve for about five years now. he used to post regularily but has gotten away from it. i know he built another for a friend.I remember one of his pics where the hull was upside down in his yard. A strong thunderstorm came up and picked up the hull and threw it across his yard.No damage was done. This was bare hull with no stringers etc. yet on the inside of the hull. Just shows you how strong our building process is that Jacques designed. Go for it. You will love it. You :D may hate the sanding but will be amazed at the outcome of the design.
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

semperfly
New Poster
New Poster

Post by semperfly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:27 pm

That is what I needed to hear guys, I'm impressed that it will "do the do" with a 70. Kinda like when I ran a 90 Tohatsu TLDI on my 22 Panga at 35 mph and 8 nmpg, people didnt believe it til they rode in the boat. BTW I was very impressed with that motor, bullet proof like the old Yami Enduros. Anyway, I appreciate the feedback, getting that kind of performance with 3 fat dudes, coolers and gear is what I have to have. All I got to do now is find some room to build her.

THanks Again