FS14 Low Sheer?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
BradleyD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS14 Low Sheer?

Post by BradleyD » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:24 am

Great Plan. The fun of building your own boat is making it your own boat. Add the wide gunnels, minimal extra cost, a suggestion on the livewell - convert an ice chest. There are several kits that include a recirculating pump and spay head, and it is portable.
You're right, something portable will probably be a better idea...the more I think about it the more I am abandoning the idea of a built in livewell. Still not sure about the gunnels. If the weight will allow me I may but will not be a big deal if I can't. Also, I keep picturing in my head two people fishing on a boat this size and for whatever reason someone on the front deck decides to run down the gunnel while another person is on the poling platform...I see it easy to make someone go swimming :D

TRC886
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TRC886 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:16 am

The end product in my head would not be exactly as pictured but just the general idea. Right now (if I can describe this correctly) I am thinking of taking the front deck back to the front frame of the bench seat, ommit the seat top (if possible) and add a sole only from the stringers outboard. This will leave a deep area in the center of the boat running from the rear decl to front deck
If I added a sole, I'd take it all the way across :!: You'd add very little extra weight to get a flat, uncluttered sole to stand on when you're not on the poling platform or front casting deck :wink:

trc

D2Maine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by D2Maine » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:16 am

nm
Last edited by D2Maine on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

BradleyD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BradleyD » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:09 am

If I added a sole, I'd take it all the way across You'd add very little extra weight to get a flat, uncluttered sole to stand on when you're not on the poling platform or front casting deck
Very true but my only concern would be the distance between the sole and the top of the rear deck where I will be sitting while driving. I will have to make sure it is not too short and I can sit comfortably without my knees in the air. If its good then a full deck would be much cleaner. That being said I could make a small aluminum frame jump seat a few inches above rear deck and have the best of both worlds :doh: hmm...

d2Maine,
Thanks for the galleries. I'll definitely check them out. Since it's doing nothing but raining today I will have plenty of time to ponder on this :D

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:23 am

yep could be done this way but then you have stringers and frames to trip you up all the time
As already pointed out, this is not an issue as the stringers are already there :lol: I wouldn't suggest something dangerous, just relaying the answer to a question that has been asked many times in regards to removing the middle seat on this particular boat.

TRC886
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TRC886 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:39 am

I didn't see this boat in the galleries, but here's the thread for another CC version of the FS 14: (scroll down about 1/2 way to see the boat)
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24726&start=150

Very true but my only concern would be the distance between the sole and the top of the rear deck where I will be sitting while driving. I will have to make sure it is not too short and I can sit comfortably without my knees in the air.
I expect you to do more fishing than driving :!: :P :lol: :lol:

trc

D2Maine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by D2Maine » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:54 am

nm
Last edited by D2Maine on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

TRC886
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TRC886 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:00 am

Photobucket :!: :? :| No wonder I didn't see them in "our" gallery :!: :lol:

Thanks for the link, D2Maine 8)

trc

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:19 am

BradleyD wrote:So I have already ordered the plans for the FS14 and contemplating the idea of cutting the shear down similar to shine's FS17 low sheer. I've been wanting a small back water boat for a while and the FS17 or FS18 is a little too pricey and time consuming for me right now, but the idea really spawned after seeing the Shipoke 14 (pictured below). The idea of course will to keep the boat as simple and light as possible with the only real extras being minimal electrical (bilge pump, nav lights, etc.), poling/casting platform, and a possible live well for bait. While I would like gunnels wide enough to walk on, I probably would keep them as desined and only increase the size of the front deck somewhat. I also currently have a near perfect 9.9 Merc four stroke for power where 3 gallons of fuel would be plenty 99% of the time. Max would be two people fishing with minimal gear, with the exception of live bait sometimes. What are the board's thoughts? Low sheer or keep as designed? Thanks.
You and I are on the same wavelength. I've been planning this exact build out in my head. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the FS14 plans and the Shipoke 14 is what finally clarified it for me. Hope Jacques doesn't get mad at me for altering his scale drawing from the study plans. Anyway, just messing around with the idea and paint :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Gary
GF-16 Completed

BradleyD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BradleyD » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:43 pm

I didn't see this boat in the galleries, but here's the thread for another CC version of the FS 14
I have poked through his thread and seeing it has definitely helped me make my decision...that's a lot of boat for 14' 8O
You and I are on the same wavelength. I've been planning this exact build out in my head. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the FS14 plans and the Shipoke 14 is what finally clarified it for me. Hope Jacques doesn't get mad at me for altering his scale drawing from the study plans. Anyway, just messing around with the idea and paint
They say great minds think alike :wink: