J or Shine - TX18 - Inverted V through to transom

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
nicademas
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

J or Shine - TX18 - Inverted V through to transom

Post by nicademas » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:46 pm

Hey guys.

Have been considering a Bateau build for a while and just sold my production boat last summer, so now it is time. Had the wife buy me a complete set of Bosch power tools for Christmas. Just got a storage for the fishing gear and other stuff that is taking up room in the garage. I'm ready to buy materials and get dirty.

I have one important question. I want to build the TX18. But the running draft is really a problem for the places I want to fish. There is a guy in Texas that is building this boat out of aluminum, probably even used Jacque's plans for its genesis. He is running the inverted V all the way to the transom and people I trust indicate it runs much shallower than what the Bateau plans would allow with the full transom.

My question for Jacque is this, can you produce a modified version of the plans to run the Inverted V to the stern? I would jump at the chance to build the tx18 with this modification. I'm attaching a couple pictures to show what I'm talking about. It would make this boat so much more versatile!

Thanks very much in advance.

KAndre
New Poster
New Poster

Re: J or Shine - TX18 - Inverted V through to transom

Post by KAndre » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:31 pm

I just joined the end of Jan. as I want to be ready to replace my aging jon boat with an XF20 or GF18 in a couple of years. I also looked at the TX18 as it had the width and length and shallow running base I was looking for. I think your going in the wrong direction but I'm just a corn farmer. The TX18 has a 5" draft sitting still. When up on plane it will be even less which is why I looked at it.

I think it's David who built one down there in TX can give you his impressions. I'm more following the XF20 builds right now. Dang I don't know if I have a tractor that can haul all the beef that I saw in a couple of pictures. I think they were Richards XF and Paul's GF.

God bless, Keith

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:25 pm

KAndre wrote:I just joined the end of Jan. as I want to be ready to replace my aging jon boat with an XF20 or GF18 in a couple of years. I also looked at the TX18 as it had the width and length and shallow running base I was looking for. I think your going in the wrong direction but I'm just a corn farmer. The TX18 has a 5" draft sitting still. When up on plane it will be even less which is why I looked at it.

I think it's David who built one down there in TX can give you his impressions. I'm more following the XF20 builds right now. Dang I don't know if I have a tractor that can haul all the beef that I saw in a couple of pictures. I think they were Richards XF and Paul's GF.

God bless, Keith
Welcome aboard Keith :)
Nope, it was not my boat with 20 guys on the deck. It was Seth's boat :wink: If you need any help with your XF20, send me an email. I will be happy to help :D
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:36 pm

Richard's has more of a reputation for hauling trash than Seth's :lol:

8O

:lol:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:40 pm

Now Cracker :lol: Is that any way to welcome a guest :lol:
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:43 pm

I'm sorry :oops: Did I say something wrong? You got to admit you've hauled some trash :lol:

Welcome Nicademas :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:49 pm

Cracker Larry wrote:
I'm sorry :oops: Did I say something wrong? You got to admit you've hauled some trash :lol:

Welcome Nicademas :D
Yes, welcome Nicademas :wink:
Richard

nicademas
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nicademas » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:41 pm

Thanks for the humorous discourse guys.

Keith...
I went to college up in Iowa on a soccer scholarship. Got my MBA back here in, warmer, Texas. :) I'm almost 100% sure the required draft to get up and run the TX18 is going to be 12"+. The boat, itself, may draft 5-6", but it will require a good portion of the prop below the hull at transom to get it up and keep it moving. Even with a jack plate - which I do intend to add. That is why I want the hull to continue the inverted vee to the transom. This aluminum example of the TX18 proves it can be done and some guides down here swear by its performance and versatility. I want the composite version and I want to build it myself!

Very hopeful this can be accommodated to some extent.

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:00 am

That's a serious camoflage job on that boat! Looks like a gilly suit! :D

lung
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by lung » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:21 am

As a builder who failed to follow the incredible wisdom and skill of Jacques, Shine, and the collective wisdom of Bateau veterans in building my Indian River Skiff, to continuing regret, some unsolicited advice:

NEVER SKIMP ON PLYWOOD.

FOLLOW THE PLANS The transom is flat for a reason. If you want to modify the bottom, pay Jaques to provide you your own bottom. Too much knowledge and experience goes into the design.

That being said, I've wondered if the inversion could be continued to the transom.

I hope the guy selling the aluminum modification at least paid for a set of TX 18 plans.
D-15; XF20 abuilding
"Once, as I watched her walk across the room . . ."