Cats

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
davekf
Active Poster
Active Poster

Cats

Post by davekf » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:22 pm

The powercat designs look great.

So... now that those cat designs are done, how's that sailing cat design looking? :) Would the hulls be similar?

Thanks

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cats

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:34 pm

I'm busy with this:

It's an ultralight catamaran for solar power.
Will also work with a pair of small outboards, max. 10 HP each for up to 15 mph.
24', light perfect beach boat.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:35 am

This concept design looks great. Hope the final design includes guidance on electric outboards, solar panels, battery bank, back up genset, battery charger and integrating electronics. It's really hard for the lay person to figure out how to effectively put this stuff together.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:27 am

The plans will list two setups with complete BOM: one for electric motors and solar panels, one for small outboards.

The electric version is based on the Torqeedo motors and battery. I added my own solar panels with controller plus a shore power charger. It will include a complete schematic, part numbers, wire size and sources for all parts.
The electric version will cost about $ 15,000.00 in equipment and will provide 4 to 5 hours of cruising at 4 mph with fully charged batteries. No solar panel set up can generate sufficient power to move that boat without batteries, it's simple math. Except for some experimental boats that have a solar array like a football field, solar boats can't move without charged batteries, that is why I include a small Honda generator to recharge under way.
The Torqeedos are the most efficient electric outboards.

The outboard version will use a pair of 4 to 10 HP outboards, push the boat between 6 and 15 mph and can run all day long on a small tank of gas using less than 0.5 gph at 8 mph. Equipment cost will be around $ 2,500 and $ 5,000 depending on outboard selection.

I will also include an amortization table showing the operating cost per hour or per year for each version: the batteries don't last forever and cost close to $ 3,000.00. See Torqeedo.com for details about the electric version.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:55 am

What you're doing here Jacques is providing a practical toolbox for those seeking to decide their own approach to a low environmental impact power boat. Many thanks!
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:33 am

If you want a low impact boat, get a sail boat. :)
I am serious, all those expensive batteries and solar panels made from rare materials have a bad impact on nature. Plus, here in the US, we burn cheap coal to make the electricity that you charge the batteries with.

I see several reasons to own that boat, some rational, some based on political ideology. I will not discuss the politics of global warming etc. but electric or outboard powered, this is a very low impact power boat. Low impact on the environment and low impact on the owners wallet.

Below are some good reasons to own that boat.
With electric engines:
- cruise waters where internal combustion engines are prohibited: lakes behind dams or protected areas and/or
- interest in a silent day cruising boat and lack of interest in speed and/or
- low maintenance and low operating cost (after high initial investment)
With small outboards:
- program of quiet day cruises at moderate speed: a different picnic boat and/or
- very low initial and operating costs especially compared to a deep vee hull. A Sunday afternoon cruise on it will cost only a few $ compared to up to $ 100.00 in a sport fishing boat.

The last reason may make all the difference between owning a boat that you can enjoy or one that sits at the dock.
Gas prices almost tripled in the last 5 years and I expect them to go up to $ 8.00/gallon.
If we want to keep boating, we will have to switch to easily driven hulls and accept less speed. This cat with small outboards will be a good choice.

PS: we need a name. Right now, my design file is named Algore24 but I am looking for something better.
Suggestions are welcome but no Treehugger Express or SolarCat or Greenwhatever.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:23 pm

Al Gore 8O :?: :lol:

Low I 24
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:00 pm

Cracker Larry wrote:Al Gore 8O :?: :lol:

Low I 24
That is temporary designation but Low I 24? I get it but I don't want to explain, we'll be in troubles.

Let's find something more attractive.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:33 pm

:lol:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:04 pm

I may have a name: Mansura.
Look at this:
http://www.oceannavigator.com/January-F ... gn-trophy/

Mansura was an hybrid boat before the Prius, before any talk about global warming or cooling, in 1912!!!
They also had electric cars at that time that were more efficient and did cost less to produce than a government subsidized Fisker.

I'm still looking for other names.