Durability?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
jdplus33

Durability?

Post by jdplus33 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:34 am

How resistant are these designs to water intrusion? (Not sinking) If I build a plywood skiff, it will probably stay in the water for weeks, maybe months at a time, getting rained on frequently as well. Will water soak into the plywood and delaminate the boat? I have no trailer and daily launching is not an option.

Thanks!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Durability?

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:37 am

Some of those boats are in the water since 50 years and show no delamination, no water intrusion.
Marine plywood does not delaminate and all the epoxy resin we sue protect the plywood even more.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:24 pm

I keep my P19 in the water behind my house for 6-7 months out of the year, hasn't sunk yet, and absolutely no signs delamination.

Joe H
Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress

Woods Designs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woods Designs » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:28 pm

And if you had a light glass cloth sheathing all over it would last even longer. Probably outlive you

Mind you, if you do leave an open skiff in the water year round it is worth fitting either a cockpit cover or an automatic bilge pump. Otherwise rain may well sink it

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:31 pm

BTW, the OP made a double post and I deleted the copy but this was about an FL or FS14.
I have an FS12 at my dock since 8 years, no problem. Before that, I had an FL12 for 5 or 6 years, gave it to a neighbor and it still looks fine.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:57 pm

The first FB11 was our cruising dinghy for 8 years. I wasn't sheathed in glass but did get 2 coats of epoxy before painting. It was in daily use and sat in the water for days and weeks at a time. It was only hauled out for passages. So if built properly (coating with epoxy and then painting to protect the epoxy from UV damage) you will have no issues.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

Typhoon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Typhoon » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:15 pm

I've owned two plywood boats in the past, both lived on moorings year round.
The first was a YW Diamond yacht. It had zero resin protection of the hull and when I first bought it, the bottom paint was through to bare plywood in places and the deck paint was heavily cracked. No issues except for making the boat heavy. Refinished the boat and good as new.
The other was a 22ft Hartley power boat. It was constructed with epoxy, but no sheathing. Same thing, no issues.
Any timber boat will have issues if poorly looked after, but it's mainly with cabins and poor ventilation in my experience.
As a marine trimmer in a former life, I strongly believe proper canvas covers are worth their weight in gold, not just for keeping water out, but reducing maintenance and keeping the boat clean.

jdplus33

Post by jdplus33 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:29 pm

Thanks, people! Waiting for my message board access to come through so we can discuss specific models!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:37 pm

This is a Mirror Dingy that is one of the first stitch and glued boats ever designed. My wife and her dad built it in the late 1960's. It has been stored bottom up covered with plastic for most of it's life when it is not being sailed. We have a small trailer that we keep it on and cover it on in the summer. My wife has sailed it from her teens to her 50's, about 40 years.

http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... 0125~0.JPG

You can expect a long life from your boat if you cover all areas with fiberglass and epoxy, then protect the epoxy with a good marine paint which will last 10 years or more before needing repainting. Bottom paint will last 6 years or so depending on the type you put on.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

jdplus33

Post by jdplus33 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:37 pm

Can plans such as the FL12 use all 3/8" plywood instead of (2)-3/8" and (2)-1/4"? It's time-consuming and very expensive to get marine plywood here (USVI) and a guy here has some to sell. As an alternative, is there a jon boat plan that would require less bending and therefore might work better with all 3/8" plywood? Thanks for any info and links!