Why Build when you can Buy?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Why Build when you can Buy?

Post by TomW1 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:39 pm

There is nothing like making something and using it yourself Whether it is your kitchen cabinets or your boat. You can put everything where you want it, of course with in reason. I would recommend you stick with the FS17 LS as it comes in at about 16'. One of the guys put a 40HP tiller and wished he had gone with a 30 but he mainly fished by himself.

Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Coach
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Coach » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:34 am

Thank you for all the great responses! I think for me the power requirements makes alot of sense. I anticipate only needing a 25hp or 30hp tiller outboard. I would think the FS17_LS has enough room for 2 to 3 people to fish, go for a ride and stop at a beach or if possible tow a tube for my teenage kids. Not sure about the tube part for a tiller outboard but will have to look into it further. I use my jetski for this now in NH/ME.

I agree that "plastic has no soul". I got a chuckle outta that one! And I think the pride of owning a boat I built is the primary reason I keep coming back to the idea of building a boat.

I completed a wood fired brick oven in 2011 that took me almost 3 years of weekends to complete. I look back now and I am amazed I did it. I want that same feeling with this project!

Thanks for the support. This forum will be my guide!

Mitch

remedy32
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by remedy32 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:32 am

Thank you for all the great responses! I think for me the power requirements makes alot of sense. I anticipate only needing a 25hp or 30hp tiller outboard. I would think the FS17_LS has enough room for 2 to 3 people to fish, go for a ride and stop at a beach or if possible tow a tube for my teenage kids. Not sure about the tube part for a tiller outboard but will have to look into it further. I use my jetski for this now in NH/ME.
Above really confirms that you should be very satisfied with the FS17LS. Build the boat light from okume, power with one of the crop of new lighter 4 strokes (or DI 2 strokes) in the 25-30 range. Weight at the dock with engine, fuel and basic required gear should be 600-700#. Tube might work out with 2 aboard plus the tubber, worth a shot. You might even see 10mpg fuel economy. Should be a great ride around the bays in your area.

Bill

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:00 am

Hi Mitch,
To build yourself a boat is great fun, occupies you with something that you do not do in your bread earning job and it is cheaper than buying because you work gratis and the costs arise along the whole build.
1. Marine plywood and some epoxy and glass tape
2. You build your hull.
3. Months later you order glass mat and some more epoxy.
4. And now at the end you buy a bit of deck hardware and paint.
As you built a stove as fast as in 3 days you will manage these 4 points in one Summer.
Salvatore a builder in Australia also built a boat in one season and a brick pizza oven, maybe look up Adelie 16 from a land down under .
The feeling at splashing you own built boat is sensational, I know I am building on my third and according to my wife last boat .
Have a nice Summers build.
Greetings from Karl ( Austria, where the climate is similar to yours and boat building happens from Spring to Autumn. )
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:56 am

G'day future builder,

Just build one! Trust us, you can't imagine the feeling of putting it on the water for the first time, especially when people ask where you got it.

As for cost, well here in Australia, ply, resin and glass can be painfully expensive if you want good stuff so it might not be cheaper to build. But you can buy a gallon of resin, a roll of fibreglass tape and a couple of sheets of ply for very little. That gets you started, and you buy more stuff as you need it. There's never a massive outlay of cash, at least until you need a motor and trailer. But consider this - a 'hobby' costs money. Be it hunting, fishing, musical instruments, drinking, etc etc you can easily spend a few grand on each of those in a year. Make this your hobby and you're no worse off financially than before you were a boat builder, but now you have a boat!! Then you're only forking out for a motor which is cheaper than buying a boat/motor/trailer.

It's seriously fun and it aint that difficult.

Hope to ser you building something soon.

Regards

Cam.
Completed: CC14 Canoe and V12 sail boat.
In progress: PC20 Poon-Cat.

Walkers Run
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Walkers Run » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:02 am

You guys have pretty much covered it. I'll add that building my boat is one of the most enjoyable things I've done. I decided to build because I wanted a custom boat, couldn't find wat I wanted. The joy of building it and the pride in owning it is the real payoff.
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
https://youtu.be/nzWO9FVJODo

cape man

Post by cape man » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:01 am

Then there's this. You can't find a boat like mine, and mine aren't for sale. Add some personal touches and your FS17 LS will be like no other boat in the world.

As to cost, my OD18, SC16, and cedar strip canoe were all much cheaper than a comparable production boat...minus labor costs :help:
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:56 am

And then after about 7 years I was at the boat ramp yesterday and again as usual had a hard time getting away from the ramp, too many people wanting to know about my boat. :roll:
Completed: FL14, OD18

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:25 pm

One big reason for me that hasn't been mentioned yet is father son bonding time.

My son is 7 now. By the time he has graduated high school we will have built a couple of boats together and atleast one airplane.

Regardless of what his future holds and where he ends up wanting to go and do, he will enter the world with the confidence of knowing he can build great things and have mastery over land, air, and sea. (Along with the healthy respect that each of those deserve)

When we are done with each project, I expect we will have a brand new shiny vehicle that cost us more than a similar used production and cheaper than a new. It it will be ours with all the pride to go with it.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:09 pm

Great reason and point Narfi!!!! Jeff