OD 18 W/ Bracket?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
cjjohn
New Poster
New Poster

OD 18 W/ Bracket?

Post by cjjohn » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:23 pm

I just recently joined this site, but have lurked for years and am finally at a point that I am ready to build. I believe I have finally decided the OD 18 is the right choice for what I want. I developed a question though after seeing the 28 Bertram OB conversion that DayTrip did. His work was fantastic, I like how he extended the stringers and the bracket was incorporated into the boat. Could the same be done with the OD during construction? I feel it would open up a lot of deck space, would allow a platform, and you would have a full transom. The additional flotation would offset the setback it seems, and you would have the performance gains allowed by a bracket?? And it would be structural, which to me seems much better than a bolt on.

I apologize if this a ridiculous question, but I guarantee it will be only the first. Also, RIP to Cracker Larry and my sincerest condolences to all here who were friends and to his family. It was his OD 18 that made the decision easy for me after hearing how capable this boat truly is.

Thank you for the help and a great site.

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: OD 18 W/ Bracket?

Post by Aripeka Angler » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:51 pm

Welcome :D
You picked a great boat to build. I would forget the bracket, it's not a good idea.
Put a small jac-plate on it and a fold up swim platform...
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:00 pm

Any thing under about 20" is to small for the boats that Jacques designs due to there light weight. It puts the motor to far back at 24-30". Jacques has discussed this many times in the forum. It is best to use a jack plate with a 4-6" set back. This will allow you to move the frame in front of the transom back a little. Just leave enough room for the hoses and control cables to make there bends. This also gives you the advantage of raising the motor for shallow water fishing.

AA idea of a fold up swim platform is great.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cjjohn
New Poster
New Poster

Post by cjjohn » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:53 pm

Thanks for the quick replies. I do like the idea of a jack plate and moving the frame back a little.