V12 approx. hull speed

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
bigyellowtractor
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: V12 approx. hull speed

Post by bigyellowtractor » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:16 am

I think whatever I do, I will learn from your experience and put something tough on the skeg and maybe the chine/corners. My little HC is already showing some battle-scars; exploring interesting places involves a bit of dragging and bashing but usually worth it.

OneWayTraffic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OneWayTraffic » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:14 am

I can recommend a pair of dinghy wheels similar to my beachmasters.

See my D5 thread for pictures. I built it tough and heavy and can wheel it around no problem, even up a sandy beach.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:52 am

I also find myself wanting to put in at odd locations. Besides the wheels, I also carry a carpet remnant about 6x6 feet and every once in awhile it allows me to get over a rocky patch or a small cliff with negligible damage. I have also benefited from the kindness of strangers when the area has a modest supply of hikers or kayakers. I never ask but when they see an old man struggling they have pity on me.
Tony

bigyellowtractor
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bigyellowtractor » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:24 pm

I thought about wheels but to be honest, I think I could carry a lightly built V12 / V10

The carpet idea is good though; a few places I've put the canoe in have metal pilings making up the bank and I have had to throw it in rather than slide it.

Thinking about wear and tear on your corners, Tony; I came across this
https://www.chillcheater.com/keeleazy-k ... -the-metre
I am tempted to get a sample and see how easy it would be to do the ends of my canoe
Last edited by bigyellowtractor on Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:29 pm

You'll need wheels. It isn't about the weight but the size. the 12 is just ... big. every puff of a breeze will make that hull a sail that and you'll put a physical therapist's kid through UNI with your medical payments.

Ask me how I know...

bigyellowtractor
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bigyellowtractor » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:35 pm

Jaysen wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:29 pm
You'll need wheels. It isn't about the weight but the size. the 12 is just ... big. every puff of a breeze will make that hull a sail that and you'll put a physical therapist's kid through UNI with your medical payments.

Ask me how I know...
OK, I believe you :-)

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:46 pm

Now, if your plan is to just armor the bottom better than either Tony (who installed metal) or I (who just used graphite epoxy) did and then drag it... no wheels are really required. But you will be damaging something. My fat boat does drag easily enough for short distances that I move her around my yard without the cart (grass growing in sand).

Make sense?

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:53 pm

Please report back if you order that Keel Eazy stuff. I have considered kevlar tape also.
But recently I added 2-3 lengths of 4" 8-oz. fiberglass tape from stem to skeg along with some more graphite/epoxy. I did a really shitty job aesthetically, too, but I figure it is sacrificial. This will get me through another couple of years at least. Then maybe I'll be too old to stand up.
Tony