V12 approx. hull speed

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
bigyellowtractor
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

V12 approx. hull speed

Post by bigyellowtractor » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:24 am

Anyone have an idea what the terminal hull speed of the V12 would be using an outboard ??

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: V12 approx. hull speed

Post by terrulian » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:53 am

Displacement hull speed in knots is 1.34 x sqrt. length on the waterline in feet. So, I don't have the actual LWL, but assuming it's 10 feet, 3.16 x 1.34 is 4.23 knots.
Beyond that I'm sure the boat will plane but you need input from TomW on how big an outboard you can put on it.
Tony

bigyellowtractor
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bigyellowtractor » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:38 pm

Cheers for the calcs, Tony. I might be able to work out the length of the waterline from the study plan drawings.

The V12 will never plane; she has so much rocker that she'd just dig a big hole.

Looking for something that will row properly solo and work with a little outboard with more bodies. I quite like the look of the V10/12

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:15 pm

V12 if you can do the length for transport. Just do it.

I've towed and sailed in some stupid stuff and the limiting factor is always me.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:59 pm

Those are displacement boats. They row well but do not plane.
They go at hull speeds, let's 4 or 5 mph max. with a 2HP or less.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

bigyellowtractor
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bigyellowtractor » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:39 pm

Jaysen wrote: V12 if you can do the length for transport. Just do it.

I've rowed and sailed in some stupid stuff and the limiting factor is always me.
I've not previously thought of the sail option but it might be fun to do. My sailing experience consists of a few hours with a Hobby Cat when on holiday in Florida thirty years ago and a bit of dicking about on a windsurf on a local lake.

Transport isn't an issue, the only problem is that all British inland waterways require a licence. For a canoe, I am a member of an organisation that has a blanket access arrangement but I would need individual ones for a non portable boat. I am only an hour from the south coast though. :-)
jacquesmm wrote: Those are displacement boats. They row well but do not plane.
They go at hull speeds, let's 4 or 5 mph max. with a 2HP or less.
Thanks for the confirmation Jacques. 2hp sounds nice and cheap to buy and run

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:23 pm

Portable is relative. Build it light and to spec and, while awkward, it should be light enough to put in a heavy roof rack. I would not co wider moving it without a small dilly though.

My girl was built fat. Lots of extra glass and epoxy. She tips the scales at 150lbs. I can move her around easy but can't get both ends off the ground solo unless she's upside down on horses and I lift with her balanced on my back. Build to plan and I think you'd be legitimately able to say she doesn't need a trailer.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:24 pm

I am back from a rather good vacation and then 2 weeks spent with my dad in the hospital as he was in an auto accident the broke a verbrabra some ribs. Totally agree with Jacques. A small HP motor will work well with your V12.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

bigyellowtractor
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bigyellowtractor » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:04 am

Jaysen wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:23 pm
Portable is relative. Build it light and to spec and, while awkward, it should be light enough to put in a heavy roof rack. I would not co wider moving it without a small dilly though.

My girl was built fat. Lots of extra glass and epoxy. She tips the scales at 150lbs. I can move her around easy but can't get both ends off the ground solo unless she's upside down on horses and I lift with her balanced on my back. Build to plan and I think you'd be legitimately able to say she doesn't need a trailer.
My current blanket access arrangement only covers canoes/SUPs/kayaks but I can change that, I think.

Jaysen, in this case, portable means able to use the portage routes at locks and weirs; often involving an awkward pull-out, perhaps a flight of steps and crossing a road, before a tricky put-in. Would be a two man job with either of the "V"s I think.

I have just checked and it wouldn't be silly money to license a row-boat on the waterways near me but as soon as I stick a motor on it, the price multiplies by three I need to provide insurance.

I think then it's got to be my HC12 when solo. A V-something, oars only with crew, or solo where there are no locks. A V-something with an outboard for coastal and maybe a Thames licence

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:02 am

Can you portage with wheels? Look at Tony's cart pics to see what kind of thing we are using. As far as dragging out of the water in awkward places, a metal strip would protect the keel/skeg and avoid the "glass it all" weight I ran into.

Just an option for you.