Looking for a specific boat plan I'm not sure exist

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
coltonelliott1

Looking for a specific boat plan I'm not sure exist

Post by coltonelliott1 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:26 pm

I am looking for a boat plan I am not sure exists but maybe one can be modified to my needs. Any help would be appreciated. I want a boat 16-18 feel long with a flat bottom and tunnel, that can also be rowed. I want to be able to travel up river and row back down. I like the design of towee boats but would like to be able to customize and slightly. Also if it could be built lighter using plascore in case it gets stuck a lighter boat I could drag off rocks would be great. I'm not looking for speed I just need to be able to get on plane through rapids but be able to fish slow back down river. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Looking for a specific boat plan I'm not sure exist

Post by silentneko » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:56 pm

Boats need to be fairly wide to incorporate a tunnel. This is the opposite of what you want for rowing. You would be much better off using a jet drive on a narrower skiff I would think if you want to be able to row. Either that or use a push pole instead of oars.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:15 pm

It is almost impossible to design a planing boat that rows well but to add a tunnel would make it a very bad boat that would not do anything correctly.

Why do you want a tunnel? It does not save that much draft.

The closest boat to what you describe would be a FS18. It could be fitted with oars on extended oarlocks, like a drift boat.

Plascore is honey comb. It will take lots of glass to get good resistance to puncture. A plywood core is stiffer and more resistant to puncture.
For Plascore as a core, I would have to specify heavy layers of glass and that would make it heavier than the plywood core.

The FS18 can be adapted to look like the boat you mention.
MY opinion: FS18 with river guide raised oarlocks and a graphite bottom.
It's a well proven boat.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:14 pm

Jacques I was about to say the same but wanted more information on where he is from and what rivers he is fishing. Colton please fill in your personal detail section so that we can help you better. FS18 floats in very little water and should be all you need. Put a Jack Plate on it if you want to raise the motor when you can. With the right 4 blade prop on a 15 hp you can raise it an inch or two

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

Arm&Hammer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Arm&Hammer » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:25 pm

Please clarify, but it sounds like you plan to use the oars to "guide" the boat on a downstream float, not row it - basically a drift boat that planes. I fish with a buddy in MI who uses his boat for just that. The best way I can describe it is a tiller controlled OD-18 with tunnel and jet drive. It has a rear bench and front casting deck, with a seat (for "rowing") that sits on an offset storage container in the middle. It is very roomy and stable, very little draft, and with the tunnel/jet combo, he doesn't have to mess with a jack plate or even tilt the motor when launching - the jet never touches bottom. The other difference is a slightly lower freeboard up front, but that is easy to customize during a build. Specific to its purpose, it is very effective for his needs, I am amazed at how shallow it can go.

The LM18 is a wider version of the FS18 that has a tunnel option. That also might be a boat to consider?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:42 pm

Arm&Hammer, thanks for that post.
Yes, a drift boat with a planing hull and oars seems to fit the bill. I have sketches for one of those.
This summer, I did spend a lot of time visiting drift boat builders, dealers and fishermen in Wyoming and Montana and I have some ideas about them.

The OP (Original Post) should comment on that. I am interested.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:00 pm

Around here I am starting to see boats called powerdrifters. The idea is they act much like a drift boat in that they are easy to row for manoeuvring purposes and the flat run aft lets them plane or at least motor with a small motor. At the end of some of our drift rivers you must motor several miles to reach the pullout spots. A normal drift boat is really slow under power and the powerdrifters motor much better.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:14 am

Fuzz what size boats are you seeing and what size HP are they carrying. They sound interesting.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

abstract_72
New Poster
New Poster

Post by abstract_72 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:23 pm

This is similar to the boat I want to build with a couple caveats.
I have never been thrilled about the idea of a true flat bottom power boat, a slight V seems like it would make a huge difference in the pounding and the sliding in turns in river bends with current. I also feel like the "power drifters" are a pretty big compromise. They will never row as good as a drift boat, and they will never handle as well as a properly design "river jet sled".

I want it to be a good river running powerboat first, and have the ability to row a bit, but never get the delusion it will compare to my drift boat.

Just a few thoughts.